How do I get my 2 year old daughter to change her clothes?

I'm trying to not pick this battle but she is so extremely against wearing clothes. It is literally an hour battle everyday to get her dressed. I decided not to pick the battle yesterday and went out with her in her pajamas and got many many comments about it. I try to dress her, if that doesn't work I try letting her pick out the clothes and sometimes that works but sometimes she just says no to everything and runs away and if i HAVE to get her dressed to go out I have to hold her down while she screams and cries, and no mother wants to do that. Makes me sound awful just saying that. Is there anything you can think of that would help? I just bought her new, adorable clothes and she won't wear any of them, oh my goodness. I see all these little girls in cute dresses and matching outfits with hair bows and then I see my little bean in mis matched clothes she picked herself. Still adorable but you know.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does the fabric bother her?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I didn't let mine completely pick their own outfit at that age. I gave them a choice - this or that, there was no option to tell me no. After they picked their pants, I let them pick between two shirts (that matched). Laying out clothes the night before helped too, so there wasn't that decision to be made in the morning.
    Have you tried a reward system? Like if she puts on clothes without fussing she gets a sticker, or 15 mins with a favorite toy, etc. that she doesn't get if she fights about it.

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I'd just let it be. As long as she's in clean, weather-apppropriate clothing I don't see the point in forcing anything else on her.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I have tried the reward system, and i'm not obsessed with her matching or anything she's fine in anything but the battle is pointless.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• Honestly she is controlling you in this particular battle. You need to stick your your guns and force her to get dressed. I occasionally let my DD decide if she is going to have a pajama day. We do this once a week and I make that offer on a day that I know we aren't going anywhere. It is nice to do things like that. Say if you get dressed today maybe we can have a pajama day tomorrow. I also NEVER let my child pick what she is wearing. VERY rarely will I let her decide between a skirt and dress. I pick out her clothes and if she doesn't want to wear it that is to bad. I have never had a battle b/c my DD knows what to expect and when to expect it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I do this, not because he won't wear clothes, just because it makes my morning easier. I go into my son's room, while he is in bed, I change him completely while he is still asleep. Even shoes!! Then I wake him by saying, let's go to the bathroom and he slowly wakes up while walking to the bathroom. He never even questions it! He is just miraculously dressed every morning.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I never had this problem. Probably because they knew I would pop them on the leg if they did not mind.

Answer by louise2 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• my son wont wear clothes period we do a point system he gets a star sticker everyday he keeps his clothes on if he takes them off he looses a sticker and when he gets 30 stickers he gets to go buy a toy (from the dollar store) its a phase they will grow out of eventually. she is testing the water to see what she can get away with just be consistent and she will know what she can and cant do.
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 3:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2012

• My daughtr is the same age and gets like that sometimes when she is refusing to get dressed at all in the morning I explain that her jammies are for sleeping and that if she wants to wear them she has to go back to sleep, or i tell her they're dirty and she needs fresh clothes on. If she is being picky about what she wants to wear i give her two choices ex these pants or this skirt, this t-shirt or this blouse, same with shoes and headbands. Letting her think she is really the one making decisions helps her feel like a big kid. However on holidays I just make whatever I have for her to wear sound so glamorous she wants to wear it like, "oooh look at the sparkles on your new princess dress"
    goldfish09

Answer by goldfish09 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2012