I need some suggestions for losing weight

I need to get in shape. I need to lose weight. I have joined a weight loss challenge at work. The pot that could be won is up to $500.00 now. However, it is too icy for me to run which is how I normally lose weight. A gym membership is out of the question. Any ideas? I need to lose about 60 lbs to be at my ideal weight. I have cut pop out of my diet completely, increased my water intake, and we eat healthy and in small portions. I think the lack of weight loss is due to my birth control and lack of exercise. Any tips would be very helpful.

other_mother

Asked by other_mother at 6:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• We have a sparkpeople.com group of us from here. That should help. I use myfitnesspal.com as well.

Exercise and healthy portions of healthy food are essential. I weigh and measure everything that goes into my body (ok, maybe not all of the veggies, but they aren't the problem.) Make sure you are getting enough calories but not so many that it hinders your weight loss.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• What about jogging in place while watching tv. I turn on my WII and run and change back to the tv and watch the news and run at the same time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• - keep your calories to a set level (e.g. 1400)
    - try to eat whole, natural foods and avoid refined sugar and flour and dairy as much as possible. but natural sugar is preferred to artificial. try to at least not eat artificial sweeteners, preservatives, etc.
    - drink alot of water
    - use good fats like olive oil and avocado

any of the first three alone can help, but if you can do all, you should start feeling better, skin being clearer, and seeing results in a short time.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I had good results with P90X
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• Good luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• zumba,, I don't know if you have wii or x box,, but I started a couple of weeks back and down about 5 lbs,,good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• Start with simple changes, one a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat a half pound of non-starchy vegetables every day.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 3-5 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat 1-2 servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, simple, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• It is medically proved that it taken 30 - 35 mintues of cardio to burn your fat storage at your target heart rate. Kickboxing videos are fun! Another thing you can do. If you strength train before a cardio workout you will get to your fat reserves sooner by burning the glucose in your system. So I recommend starting with strength training (helps tone and lose inches as well as burns more calories). Then do a workout video. At least 3 days a week. The longer you go after the 30 minutes the more your burning STRAIGHT FAT! That is why marathon runners are lean! And watch your sugar and salt intake and drink plenty of water!!! For variety you could jump rope, run in place with high knees arms up. You can google exercises to do at home.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2012

• I have read some of answers to your question. All sound like good advice,some that I am sure you have thought of since they are pretty much everything we hear on a daily basis.
    But sometimes you need more help. If you are like me you need something that is more like a habit, something you do every single day, like brushing your teeth.
    There are over 45 million coffee drinkers everyday and I have my own home based business organic coffee & tea business. And the good news is that I have lost 15 lbs by simply drinking this great tasting beverage daily.

If you are interested Google the name "Ganoderma Lucidem" & check out my website and let me know if you want me to send you samples, free of charge: www.amcrawford.organogold.com

OGMom132

Answer by OGMom132 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2012

• You ought to join the Healthy Weight Loss group on here, if you haven't already.  We'll calculate your BMR to help you figure out how many calories you need to lose weight healthfully.

DVDs at home are awesome!  I love Jillian Michaels.  Start with something like 30 Day Shred, and work up to Ripped in 30.

I eat clean, which has helped me lose 89 lbs so far.  Tracking your food will make a big difference.  I use sparkpeople.com, which is free, and they have lots of great exercise demos and articles that will be really helpful.

Good luck!!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2012