HELP! My house is cluttered with clothes, shoes and papers! I really need advice on how to get a handle on all of this clutter! Can anyone give me organizing ideas? Or thoughts on de-cluttering??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think first you need to get rid of everything you don't need. Sell it, toss it, whatever. Just get rid of it all. Then you can start thinking about the best way to organize.

BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• My kids take their shoes off at the door, their tennis shoes stay outside (in the garage we have a shoe organizer and a coat rack) along with their jackets and backpacks hung up. Figure out a place for everything and make sure it goes there. Get a file cabinet for the paper and sort it into folders by category.

Answer by missanc at 9:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• First, start with one room at a time. Grab three boxes-1 for donations/give away/yard sale, 1 for trash, and 1 for keeps but they don't belong in that room.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I'd say start one room or place at a time. Don't scurry from one place to another. Start one project then tackle the next until everything is done.
    janderson595

Answer by janderson595 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• Go through all the clothes. if it doesn't fit or you haven't worn it in 3 years, GET RID OF IT!!! Call the Salvation Army or Red Cross to donate the clothes. You'll get a tax break. Make sure the clothes are in good condition.

Go through the mail and sort it into piles. Bills, Junk, Important, etc. Get rid of Junk Mail immediately. After a month, get rid of magazines or weekly publications. Tie up newpapers and recycle.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• Buy a cross-cut paper shredder for personal documents.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• If it isn't a family heirloom or special keepsake and it hasn't been used, touched or worn in a yr it gets tossed. Clear bins are great for organizing toys. The stack neatly and the kids can see what is in them. newspapers toss in recycle after a week. Magazines recylce or donate after a month. Make sure everyone knows where their shoes go and it is NOT in the middle of the room. Junk mai needs to be gone through shred what needs to be shredded and toss the rest. Some people find a tray sstem helps for ail. All bills in one, things that need your attention like Dentist or eye appt remeinders, junk in the last. The trays get emptied every weekend and dealt with.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I like FlyLady's 27 fling boogie. Go through a room and start tossing items into a bag. 27 items, in 15 minutes. When that time is up, split them between toss and give away.

Check out FlyLady.net. It really helps.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• Go through your drawers and storage containers. Stuff on the bottom that has not been worn or used is either something that has gone missing in the clutter or something that has not been used for quite some time and isn't needed. I used to get caught up in someday or finding things a good home, now I save up a bunch of not so bad items and put them on a table outside my home--free to a good home, most of the stuff is gone by the end of the day including clothing, houseware stuff, toys. It keeps the trash down and I feel good knowing that whatever has happened to the stuff it went to someone who actually wanted it. The rest I donate. Make three piles, keep, toss and maybe. When you are done go through the keep and maybe pile again. Ask yourself when you used it last, if it looks good on you, if you would find it if your really wanted it, the replacement cost if you did need it again.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2012