How much do you pay a babysitter?

I am sure this questions is asked all the time on here!

How much do you pay a regular babysitter? I have a new sitter starting tomorrow. I said I would pay her $5/hr for my 2 yr old and when my 7 yr old is added I would pay $6. (My seven yr old is a huge help and not too much work) Is this not enough? She didn't bring it up and I want to make sure I am paying enough. If I pay too much more then there will be no point in me working!

Thanks for your help!

SunshineandBlue

Asked by SunshineandBlue at 9:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I baby sit I get 10 an hour whether it is one or 2 kids. But this family is well off, and I have been sitting for them for almost 5 years now on and off. Other families I sit for pay minimum wage no matter how many kids they have.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't have a regular babysitter, but when hubby and I go out we pay $7 an hour for two kids if she isn't available the other sitter charges $10 an hour.
    xBuriedx13

Answer by xBuriedx13 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My sister does child care and she sets her rate at $25 a full day, $15 for half days (under 5 hours), Then she gives a $15 discount on her monthly rate. Her and I have been doing child care for many years. Although many child care providers charge higher rates we realized that many families could not live on what they had left over after child care. Expecially for single mothers. On a single income of $8 per hour, take away $5 for child care, you only make $3 per hour, then there are taxes and other deductions,20%, so now they only make $2.40 per hour. This gives you a total take home pay of $412.80 to pay all other bills. That is impossible to live on! Many states have resources to help parents pay for child care. I am not sure how much you make, but I would say pay what you can afford.
    Anonymous

• I pay $2.50 per hour, per child with a minimum of $200 per month
    Anonymous

• 2.40, 2.50 & 5.00 an hr? Sadness, you are paying someone to care for your child! I say no less than 10 an hr.
    Anonymous

• my oldest charges 5 for the first kid for an hour and each kid after is 3. I pay her in phone minutes. However when I had to get daycare I paid 165 a week.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I live in a small neighborhood and I have a lady up the street from us that babysits and we pay $15 a day for 1 child and $10 a day if it is a half day. Talk to the baby-sitter to come up with a price that you can afford and she can live on.
    ashleydawn3830

Answer by ashleydawn3830 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• $2.50 per hour per child. She does get extra if she stays the night or comes on short notice though. Every time she stays the night she will get up with the baby. I leave the monitor on in the baby's room and get up at the first sign of hearing him but she still gets up. I tell her over and over not too but she insists! She is the nicest girl and I love our sitter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• how old is she????

i pay 15/hour
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Wow! $15/hr? There would be no point in me working if I paid 15/hr. What is it that you do? I may be considering a career move!
    SunshineandBlue

Answer by SunshineandBlue at 10:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2009