He wont eat his veggies :(

is he just being a turd? its been 4 days since he started refusing veggies i have tried everything...... so when he doesnt i end up giving him V8 fusion juice just so i can get them in his tummy will he come around and start eating them again????

emmy12345

Asked by emmy12345 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep offering him the veggies. And offering and offering. Since this is in toddlers, I assume that he is young. A lot of it is the age. He doesn't have a lot of control in his life. He can control what he eats. Of course if all you offer is veggies he'll get the picture pretty quickly. And you can always say "do you want the cucumber or the celery?" Which will give him some say but also you also get him to eat his vegetables.

I personally wouldn't do V8 anything, but that's for me and my family.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I agree with every word of balagan_imma's answers. She speaks the truth :D
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• yeah... my 5 yr old is like that... he'd rather go hungry they eat any fruit of veggie... and he has - for days!! I give him 100% OJ so he gets something, but I still offer like crazy. Doc says someday he'll come around.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2012

• I think it's normal (for them to go "off" the patterns that you loved & felt really good about! lol) and in my experience they DO "come around" again.
    I don't know if you need to give him juices to "get what he's missing." It sounds like that is reassuring to you. But maybe think in terms of the "balanced week" so you're not so focused on what is NOT in his diet day-to-day. I know my kids (if left to their devices so there isn't a power struggle going on) follow patterns of eating that are balanced overall. This sometimes manifests as eating "balanced meals" & sometimes manifests as eating mainly in certain food groups & ignoring others (for no apparent reason), but then focusing on the vegetable or protein at a future meal. (Assuming I didn't engage in a lot of suggesting or pushing, the first time.)

Keeping in mind your role (to offer/provide his food) is a worthy goal. His job is deciding whether, what & how much to eat.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• My was like that. Offer frozen peas. Sounds weird but it works. Try not to make a big deal of it. Just put it on his plate and let him see the family eating the veggie. I agree that giving him a choice will help. My son likes to mix veggies in other food (mac and cheese or mashed potatoes). I also remember my gma got him to eat veggies once by teasing him that she was going to eat them. I couldn't believe how many he ate. Making food fun helps.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 2:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• My kids at that age would eat anything they could dip (ranch, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, etc). Sometimes the combos were a little gross to me (green beans in ketchup???) but they happily ate them!

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• They go thru stages....totally normal...my daughter loves sliced cucumbers with ranch, sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon, celery with peanut butter (I cut strings off)....just keep offering..he'll come around eventually....don't stress too much about it. My daughter also looooves chopped frozen spinach with a little butter..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• Those fusion juices have highly concentrated pesticides and are very high in sugar; they are not a healthy alternative.
    Kids love to dip! raw vegetables in hummus or guacamole; steamed vegetables in marinara, peanut sauce, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• even at her pickiest, my daughter would always eat frozen peas, frozen blueberries and frozen corn (a vegetable, a fruit and a whole grain)

Answer by rkoloms at 3:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• The kids, for the most part, have been pretty good eaters. They have always eaten vegetables and now at 7 & 8 they are eating logs of veggies. I have never made a big deal of them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2012