time to potty train!

i have potty trained my little girl.....but how do i potty train my little boy...i have been putting it off..(i know bad mommy) ....he is now 21 months....and it is deff time to start..he is interested in the potty....but how do i potty train a little boy?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 9:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The same way you trained her. The only difference is that you need to teach him to push down on his penis so it is pointing into the potty. You do not want to teach him to pee standing up. His body will twist and turn to follow the movement of his eyes as he stands there, bored. And you will end up with pee all over the room. Wait until he asks to pee standing up. Then you can try the target practice tricks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yup, totally agree with everything kaycee said. I have potty trained both and boys are really no different at all, just when they ask to (and I agree with them sitting first, it also makes it easier initially because it is less confusing to sit for both then worry about the ups and downs) they will stand, that's the only difference. Good luck!
    nicole0005

Answer by nicole0005 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I potty trained my 2 oldest sitting down (their dad didn't do much teaching) Then one day we were camping and had to pee in the woods so they learned to pee standing. Piece of cake. Yeah teach them to push down on it to aim. Their younger bro just saw them and picked it right up, no problem. Except he refuses to use any other potty other than ours....? Good Luck!
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 10:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009