how do i break my almost 2 year old of his bottle?

when my little girl turned one and she used her last can of formula up that was it..she was done...BUT she also used a binky.....my son is down to night time ..but he needs to give it up..i am concerned about the health of his teeth if he does not...(plz no bashing) i KNOW he is too old and should have been broke of it long ago...his teeth now are fine..but i am worried if he continues what could happen. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start cutting the tip of the nipple off..... a little at a time..... then he wont be able to get the suction he wants and will cease the sucking reaction that comforts him.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 9:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Put only water in the bottle, even if he likes water it is not what he expects to be in there and it wont be so appealing.
    Anonymous

• My son also stoped using a binky first so it was hard to get him off the bottle. I just had to watch him cry for about a week without giving him a bottle and within that week he got used to his cup
    maleek_1007

Answer by maleek_1007 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• A friend of mine had her hubby run over a bottle with the car while her son was outside. (it looked like an accident) Then she said, "Oh, you're bottle is broken, you'll have to use a cup now" and he seemed cool with it
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Start using only sippy cups and wean the bottle out or say that the bottle has to go to the hospital b/c the babies need it more than he does. We are completely off the bottle at 6 months. Our sippies are similar to a bottle, but not a bottle. They have silicone tips or nipple if you will, they went over well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Have him and you go to the store together and show him a few different cups of whatever cartoon he might like say its spongebob well show him a cuppy of spongebob and let him pick which one he likes the most then take him home and tell him he can have his cuppy when he throws his bottle away...Then give him the cup with whatever he like the most and never mention the bottle again he will get use to it withthin a day or two and once he gets thirsty he will drink out of it... I PROMISE IT WORKS!
    TODDLERTROUBLE2

Answer by TODDLERTROUBLE2 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I took my son off the bottle at 10 months old. I just slowy started giving the sippy cup more and more. So he was only getting his bottle right before bed. And now he is 12 months and is completely off the bottle.
    dominicsmom143

Answer by dominicsmom143 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son was almost 26 months by the time I broke him of it. We have a hectic life as a military family so it never seemed like the right time to take it. I ended up taking anad throwing them all out one night while he slept and the next morning he told me he wanted it and I said they were all gone and he asked if swiper the fox took them so I went with that. After about 3-4 days he quite asking for it except in passing. The first few days were hell though. Just set your mind about it and go for it. I tried weening him from it and that was not happening at all.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 12:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter was also 2 when I took away her bottle. She hated milk and the only way she drank a little of it was in a bottle. I took the pieces of the bottle apart one day and showed her that it was broken and cant be fixed even by Daddy! Whenever she asked for bottle, I would ask her what happened and she would tell it was broken and answered her own question. Her birthday is on christmas day, so on her birthday I took her binky away and told her Santa took it to give it to little babies as she was a big kid now and in return brought you all your gifts! Whenever she asked I would ask her back what happened and she convinced herself that Santa took it for little babies.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 10:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When my kids turned one, I just took the bottle away. I really had no problems...but I never gave it to them for bedtimes. I had started introducing the sippy cup when they were about 10 months old...so they knew what it was for...
    I have 3 little boys, and I went cold turkey for the bottle at 12 months and for the binky at 24 months. I think it is the best way.

Good luck!
    Suz_Q

Answer by Suz_Q at 12:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009