With Obama the President, can we finally get rid of affirmative action?

Now that we have a black president, can we stop with the affirmative action whining? I think that 2009 should be a good year to move on...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• God's Truth! Away with AA!!!
    Anonymous

• I've never been for affirmative action in this day and age. I believe that it had it's time and it's place but I think that the time has long since passed. Being a woman, I would rather know that I was hired based on my merits than b/c they needed to fill a quota but that's JMO.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I seen something about this on CNN the other day, and people were saying that we need affirmative action now more than ever because not every minority will be a president and that African Americans are still passed over for work because of their skin color. It was a segment of people calling in and voicing their opinions, etc.
    I believe that it should have gone away a long time ago, the most qualified person should get the position, no matter the skin color.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree with PP that it had it's time and place, but things have changed now. I see it more like reverse discrimination now. My husband was passed over for positions to less qualified people because of affirmitive action..... it is sooo unfair.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• lovetoteach, actually you are WRONG, so much for your name.

AA is mostly about racial minorities and disabled. Generally AA is also given to women or people who served in the military. It has nothing to do with religion or sexual orientation, so why don't you get educated before being so rude.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• AA has it's place. Really, I hire people for a living. It is important.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes AA IS all about those things, but I have to say: I am female and I am also disabled, but I STILL wouldn't want to be hired over top of someone else just because of those things.

I think it is insulting. And, trying to PROVE that you weren't hired b/c of those things is a long drawn out process that can last years if the company has cash to spend & most of them STILL aren't won.
    ThreeLovedOnes

Answer by ThreeLovedOnes at 11:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Ideally, YES people should be hired based on qualifications. Reality, it wouldn't happen. Many people are scared of anything that THEY deem as different or weak-minorities, women, the elderly and the disabled. My mother, who is approaching 60 yrs., works in a meat packing plant. She does more physical labor and works more hours than my husband, who works in a 9-5 office job. If she were to lose her current job, she would have a heck of a time finding another job somewhere else! Another reason to keep AA is the low quality education that many minorities receive--especially in urban areas. It does not prepare them to be competitive candidates when looking for a college to attend... let alone in the current job market. So right now, we should focus on better education for everyone-then we can look at reforming AA. (And I only say 'reform' because there will always be some type of discrimination.)
    5_girlz

Answer by 5_girlz at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• in response to saying that minorities don't have a good education i don't think any American children have a good enough education to make it in the real world. we need to fix the educational system before we do any thing else because if we don't the country will just get worse then it already is.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• "the low quality education that many minorities receive--especially in urban areas"
    Do their white classmates magically get a better education?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009