How warm should my babies bath water be?

I gave him his first real bath the other day and he screamed the whole time. Im thinking maybe the bath water was to warm or maybe he just hates baths im not sure.

NewAngel011009

Asked by NewAngel011009 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Test the water on your wrist, it's more sensitive than your hand, which you likely do the dishes with!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• In the beginning they will scream like that. Lukewarm is the best temp. Room Temp.
    He will get use to bathtime..... remember, this is his first real bath...it's a whole new thing for him.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You can buy a rubber ducky that has the dot on the bottom to let you know if the water is too hot.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would buy a tubby thermometer and aim for 97 degrees. ALWAYS use your forearm to test the water though. It should be warm but not hot

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yeah I would get a thermometer or test it with your elbow or wrist. If it is too hot for your elbow or wrist it is too hot for baby!

On the other hand, your baby just might not like baths;) Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Our DD likes the water warmer than what the ducky says it okay. If it is to cool she has a fit. She is her Father's daughter. He likes his showers SUPER HOT. I do what she likes, it hasn't hurt her yet and she is 6 months.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't think it's the water temp; it is just a new experience for him. My son screamed bloody murder for the first several months. We thought we would dread bathtime forever. We started with one of the plastic tubs that has the mesh sling in it to lay the baby in. Once we took him out of that and he was more reclined than laying down, he was fine. Now that he can sit up on his own he LOVES his bath time. Just give it time.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• you should have your water heater set at 120 degrees just in case your forget to check the temp for some reason (trust me anything is possible) and if so at 120 no burns will occur
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 10:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It depends. (I know, horrible answer) My son liked his baths to be warmer than body temp from the get-go. He screams if it's too cold even now (unless he's been in the tub for an hour already ... at that point it's ok I guess). I agree that if it was his first bath, it's a fear/new experience thing. Test on your wrist or elbow as mentioned above ^ to see if it's "too hot". Be CALM, or at least try to appear calm to your baby. The more stressed YOU are about the bath, the more he'll pick up on it.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• When I bathed my son for the first time, he screamed his head off like he was dying too! My mom was taking pictures and she loves one of the pictures with his face all scrunched up, but his big ol mouth wide open! I think he cried a little with his second bath, but now he loves them! Your baby will just get used to them and learn to love them!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009