When to go to toddler bed?

My daughter is 18 months old and we are expecting another in November. When did you switch your toddler from crib to toddler bed?

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she can crawl out on her own,it's time to get a new bed. I'd suggest a twin bed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• My oldest was switched so we could use his bed for our daughter, it was a convertible one. Our daughter was switched about one also.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• My kids are 19 months apart. We moved my daughter to a trundle bed, which we had as part of a daybed set, about 3 months before my son was born. I wanted her comfortable in the bed before my son was in the crib. When he was born she was all ready to be the big sister.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• I agree if she can get out on her own, time for a toddler bed,, I would say about June or so would be a good time.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• I always switched mine to a twin/full at 2. Unless you have a convertible crib you aren't going to use with the 2nd, toddler beds are a waste of money. I have two 18 months apart and then two more 20 months apart. Both times I used two cribs to avoid pushing my older one to grow up before he was ready.

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• If you think she's ready, go for it. Aden was in a bigger bed at about 18 months. It's a good age.

Also, in my opinion, skip the toddler bed and go straight to a twin or bigger. It provides more space and she'll be less likely to fall out of bed. If you do go for a twin or bigger, you could always get a bed rail - you can't get those for toddler beds, or even for single beds. Not only that, but you'll still need your crib mattress for the second baby - toddler beds use crib mattresses.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• My dd started climbing everything and was in the process of trying to figure out how to climb out of her crib at about 22 months. All we did was convert her crib to the toddler bed, it has the rails and everything. Just be prepared for a week or so of her getting up a few times after you put her to bed.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• We went right to a twin and got a safety rail...I don't think toddler beds are worth it...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• We moved from a crib to a twin with each child at about 2. With my son especially they were just too big for the crib. They went straight into twin beds. Toddler beds, while cute, just were/are not practical financially or spatially in the places we've lived.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• I was going to say what alot of others already said, skip the toddler bed. They outgrow it so fast, and realy arnt worth it. I would get a full/double bed if your childs room is big enough for it, and put a rail on the side. If you go with a good quality, it could be used well into the teen years! I swtiched both my kids into beds at 15 and 18 months.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2012