Have been breastfeeding for about 24 hrs and.......

My nipples are already soooooo sore she eats alot and for along time!! what can i do for some relif between feedings!!!!!

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Vitamin E oil or Lanosil help a lot.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Is this your 1st? If your nipples r sore then she is not latching on correctly. Make sure she is getting a lot of your areola.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 9:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Okay. . . It will get better. check the latch like pp said. Then go with the lanolin (Lansinoh is a good brand) Use it after every feeding. Some moms swear by rubbing a little breastmilk on the nipples and letting them air dry.

Just remember It gets better

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It Hurts! Try not to give up. I used lanolin for almost 6 months and Air them out... very important!!!
    A friend of mine told me to take a rough face cloth and rub your nipples with it to toughen them up... didn't end up doing that, but would consider it for my next child to get the beginning getting used to it over with. Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

• Lansinoh can help protect & soften, use before and after feedings. You can also buy Soothies (wonderful thrown in the fridge to cool) but you can't use it with the Lansinoh creme. I agree with the mom above, make sure she's getting a big wide open mouth, then latch on and if you have-to roll her lips out so she looks like a duck. Nursing frequently is great! She's helping to ensure your milk comes in. You want her to nurse and nurse often . (I did every 90 minutes with my son for 3 days!) It can also combat jaundice because her system is being flushed out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It's also good because she's learning an effective suck. Don't feel like you should supplement, sounds like she's doing it all perfectly & you don't want nipple confusion. If you have pain when your milk comes in, freeze 2 wet diapers flat in the freezer. It feels nice against the warmth of a tender breast. You can also use cool or warm washcloths depending on your preference. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    RugersMommy06

• Lansinoh was my absolute best friend while I was breastfeeding. But try not to give up, my sore nipples attributed to my depression about the whole situation, and I ended up stopping after just a few days. But you can do it! It WILL get better. I'm not as strong as most people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i feel in love with nipple shields. they give a little relief while your nipples adjust to the change
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 10:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I used Lansinoh for the first few days and then the old tried-and-true express a few drops of milk and rub that into your nipples then air dry tactic. It does help a lot and I NEVER had cracked nipples. I also never had mastitis.

Getting a proper latch is the best way to make sure that you won't wind up in tons of pain for the long term. Get as much of your aureola as you can get into her mouth (sometimes it helps to grab the area right beyond the colored part and kinda gently squeeze to make it "smaller" for baby's mouth).  Also, right before you start nursing, take a warm wet washcloth and put that on the breast you'll be starting with for about 5 minutes.  That will help with let-down and she won't have to work AS hard to start out with.

cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• watch nipple shields, they can be hard to wean off of.
    Anonymous