When do you start teaching your child how to eat with a spoon, fork ..etc.?

My son is 15 months and he's really smart and he can eat by himself with his fingers with out to big of a mess, but what age do they usually start eating with a fork?

maleek_1007

Asked by maleek_1007 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When they start showing an interest.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• ive been giving my son a fork since he was about a year old. at first food just went all over the floor. he's 20 months old now and is pretty good with a fork, for some reason a spoon is a lot harder. just give him one at meal times and let him figure it out at his own pace. sometimes my son uses his, sometimes not, it just depends on the food.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I put a spoon in front of her at 9 months old so she has been using it since then. She wasn't very competent with it until about 16 months, though:)
    Anonymous

• My daughter has had a spoon since she started eating solid food. We started with a fork at a year, and a knife at 18 months.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 9:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter started off with these things my mom sent, they have a really chunky handle with a short flat part sticking out the end that they dip into their babyfood and lick off it. It teaches them how to use a spoon. She used those when she was about 8-11 months, then she moved on to a real spoon around 11 months, and a fork around 18 months (would have been sooner but we moved from overseas and visited relatives for a month so her routine was off and we didn't teach her much til we got settled again.) But they will let you know when they have an interest. Just put it in front of them and if they pick it up great. Make sure you are showing them when you eat that you are eating with a fork or spoon. They love to imitate!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009