Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are my options?

My biological sister, whom I would rather see hit by a bus than share blood lines with, continues to give my name and number out to people she conducts business with--so when she becomes delinquent with her payments they call me looking for her. This has gone on for almost two years now. I just got another call from a rent to own home furnishings place and they told me she put me down as a reference and they wanted to find her. She must owe them $$$$'s by now. Anyway, she has no business giving out my info as we are not close and she knows I hate her. Maybe this is why she does it. IDK. But short of changing my number is there some sort of legal action I can take against her?

Answer Question

Asked by PROGENITOR at 10:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Relationships

Level 4 (30 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I don't know about legal options but change your number to get away from it.

    Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Change your number and don't give it to her. You have no legal options unless she is pretending to be you.

    Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • But she is a bully and by changing my number I would be giving into her bully ways. There has got to be some way to stand up and fight for my privacy, right?

    Answer by PROGENITOR at 10:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • tell the ppl not to call there they have a wrong number. and if she wants to use you as a reference just give her a bad one. maybe she get the hint. but i would change my number thats not giving in to her bullying ways its giving you piece of mind

    Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • I would not change my number but tell them to stop calling you or you will call the Federal Trade commission and report them. Once you tell them to stop they have to. As for her, IDK, you can go to and ask a lawyer for free. (that is 2 "v"s )

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • See a should be able to get a cease and desist order.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • You can just say that she doesn't reside at your home and you would like your number taken off of their call lists.

    Answer by micrespo at 12:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

  • No, I don't think you can do anything. But you are doing enough damage to her credibility by telling her creditors that you do not know anything about her whereabouts or her affairs. She is only using you as a reference because she has no other friends to use.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 1:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

  • yes you contact the police and bring charges of harassment on her. this is harassment that she is doing to you in an indirect way. i'm pretty sure you can do that. they would at least contact her and tell her to stop or some charges will come from this. if they can't do anything they would be able to advice you on something. i would at least call. i called my husbands employer twice to have them give him a message and the police contacted me and said it would be. so i think it would apply here. similar but different.

    Answer by melody77 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

  • We had the same kind of issue with my brother, he went delinquent on hospital bills and student loans, and no matter how many times we told them to stop calling, they didn't. I finally tricked them into giving me his personal account info (which is illegal) by telling them I would pay the bills, then I called the company and told them I would sue them for illegal practices if they didn't stop calling... Low and behold, no more calls... I don't really recommend this approach, because you can get yourself into a world of trouble doing it (if they honor vocal contracts, you can actually get yourself in line to HAVE to pay the bills) but it miraculously worked for me... Dangerous, but it worked...

    Answer by Iskkra at 1:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.