Gas prices- ugh!

How much is gas where you live? In my area it was $3.75 yesterday and today it has jumped up to $3.95 at some of the stations.
I think it is horrible how gas prices have gotten so outrageous-- and it looks like there is no end in sight.
How does this high cost affect you? Have you had to make changes to your life/finances to offset this cost increase?
My husband commutes (almost 1hr each way) so he is paying out a lot for gas each paycheck. Thankfully I don't have to drive very much, so I don't have to fill up very often.

MizLee

Asked by MizLee at 10:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2012 in Money & Work

• I heard a really interesting article on NPR the other day that for the first time EVER the US is exporting gas, as well as importing it. There is so much gas down south that can't get to the east coast (north) because the pipelines are insufficient that they're exporting it to South America and beyond.

That makes no sense to me. Can't we increase the capacity of those pipelines?

Regarding prices, however, we can thank the speculators for that. There's no shortage so there's no reason for prices to be so high. Here in central MN I'm paying $3.60/gallon
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• In NJ,
    lowest: $3.36
    highest: $3.98
    It hasn't really impacted us. My husband has a company car with a gas card. Even though mine is the family car I'm just running local errands so I only need to fill it up every 3 weeks.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• Be grateful - here in Europe we're paying 2-2.5 dollars PER LITRE.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• I honestly don't know, I just hand the gas man my company gas card n he fills it up. I'll look while I'm out today.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• It's about that here too....my hubby works 5 mins from home and I'm stuck at home after a csection, so not to much driving right now....I'm just glad we own 2 Hondas :) this gas thing is temporary like always, but in the mean time, it's pretty brutal :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• Highest Price: $3.65
    Lowest Price: $3.28
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• It's $4.60 here for regular unleaded.

Crappy.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:13 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• I don't really have to go anywhere. Wal-Mart is .2 miles away :) DH works .8 miles from the house. We keep two vehicles full of gas just in case. Although, we would never need to use them if we liked walking or had bikes to ride. I haven't put gas in my car in 3 weeks and I still have 3/4 tank. I don't pay attention to gas prices.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• how do the prices affect us?
    parents live 30 miles to the south, kids live 30 miles to the north...
    guess who won that little competition...sigh
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2012

• That's cheap.. mine is $4.27 right now and hate it
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 12:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2012