Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take her to court?

I was involved in a prank a couple years ago and me and the co-defendant both got the same punishment, served our time and now the insurance company is coming after just me. Do i take her to court to have her help since they wont do anything? Can I get a court appointed lawyer again if I cannot afford it? I have only made one payment to the insurance company since May 08 bc I tried to pay them $100 a month but something always comes up that I have to pay each month. Christmas, moving. rent, car broke down again, buying diapers. errrr. I just feel like she is getting away with it when we both had a part in it! She is the one that ran her mouth and that is how we were caught.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • First of all, I must say it's pretty childish of you to be going thru all this. Is it fair that she's getting "away" with it and your stuck paying for it..........nope..........and I'm sure you won't do it again. Now, you could take her to civil court and sue her for half of whatever the ins company is making you pay, but you might not win it. And a judge could simply say that you shouldn't have pulled the prank to begin with. And obviously you haven't taken responsibility for what you did........"she ran her mouth..." who cares, you both participated! Life's not fair honey. You're finding out the hard way.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • they go after whoever has the money and they can make them pay. It's possible she shows no means of paying. Has the court ordered you to pay? If not, I wouldn't pay anything until the court tells me I have to but this might be a civil case in which you have to hire your own atty. Civil cases don't take your liberty which is protected by providing you with a court appted atty. Civil cases take your money so you have to hire your own counsel. You might get one to do it pro bono (free) for you. Are you sure they are not trying to make her pay as well?

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • They can get a judgment against you for the money but they can't force money out of your pocket. It's never good to have a judgment against you though. I don't think you can sue her for half. You could ask the court to allow you to only pay half but not even sure if that pail would hold water with the court. There is a site that you can ask an attorney for free. go to (that is a v v o. com with 2 v's. Ask an expert. We're only guessing here.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • First off, dont judge me. We all do stupid things. I am friends with the girl we did it to if that tells you anything. She doesnt think its fair that I have to pay for everything. The co-defendant is a rich bitch and she is the one that called me a bad friend and didnt get kicked out of the sorority like I did. She lied and said she had nothing to do with it. I would have gotten a felony if the district attorney didnt know that she was involved and running her big mouth.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
is 11 bucks an hour?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)