Why does it cost sooooo much???

Why does it cost so much to adopt? I would love to adopt a child and give them a loving home, but cannot afford it. Does it make sense to pay out sooo much money then not have enough to buy things for the baby? I can give love, and lots of it. Even older child adoption cost a ton. I understand hospital bills and other expenses, but come on. There are starving orphans in other countries, but again they want tons of money instead of sending the child to a warm loving home. I just don't get it. Does anybody know for sure where all the money goes? and Why do the adoption agencies have such high fees? Do they foot the bill for the childbirth or child raising prior do their being adopted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• I have never understood this!
    Anonymous

• I have family friend, who adopted the mom, which way cheaper. Then the mom signed her rights over to the adoptive parent and then that was the end of it. She went and filed the paper work and now she has a beautiful 8 yo dd. The mom also has no regrets she is also a close friend of mine as well. By the way this was done before the baby was born.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I guess I'm still at a loss as to why everyone says adoption agency fees are so high. We paid our agency for the homestudy (which can also be done for free through DCFS), then we paid our lawyer fees, court fees, hospital fees for the baby, and filing fees. Yes, it was a lot of money compared to giving birth and only paying the ins. co-pay, but it wasn't this huge enormous fee that I keep hearing about. This was a private adoption, our foster/adopt was totally free. If we had gone through the agency for non-foster adoption, our fees still wouldn't have been any more expensive than they were going through the lawyer for the private adoption. Now, I know that international adoptions are more expensive, as they involve alot more paperwork and people to get the process completed, and that is understandable.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I thought the prices were enormous for those, but at the same time, after reading about the process, I could see why they charge so much. Yes, some people think this is a money-making operation, and to some agencies it probably is. But those are the ones that you have to avoid. If you do your research and find an agency that is thousands of dollars more than the rest...that is the one that you stay away from!
    LizClara

• Adoption is not expensive. With my first 3 daughters they were considered special needs because they were a sibling group of 3 and ages 5, 6, 7. Considered "unadoptable". Because of this all we had to pay was for the homestudy. That's it. The lawyer, travel expenses, physical (insurance covered) everything we paid for but they reembursed us for everything. On top of that we got a subsidy every month that helped us to raise them.

You need to go thru your county agency and they will often times do the homestudy for free if you're willing to be a foster parent first. Then if you end up adopting one or more of the children from their county they will pay for most of the other fees. Check out your options. It may take a bit longer to go this route but it's cheaper.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We adopted our daughter (she was 2) out of foster care - it cost us nothing.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 10:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• 95% of adoption fees are tax deductable. If somebody wants to adopt $$ money should never be an issue
    AnnaBright

Answer by AnnaBright at 10:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We also adopted out of foster care and it cost us $16.50 to get a copy of the birth certificate. Adopting through an agency is expensive, but adopting through foster care is little to no cost.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 11:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Me and my DH where wondering this too the other day because we started looking into adoption instead of using a surrogate mother, but the cost of an adoption is way more than it would cost us to use a surrogate. My husband was like I do not understand why it costs so much there are so many children out there and so many loving familys but yet it seems like only the rich can adopt. Its kinda stupid actually because we make very good money but yet we still cant understand the costs of adoption.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Bmom here. I got absolutly NO living expenses paid. I got 2 maternity shirts & a pair of pants. Also I was on medicaid so they didnt pay for that either. Where all that money went is beyond me! So an agency saying some of the high fee is "birth mother related" is sometimes BS. I didnt even get any counseling
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2009