Health Club Tax Credit?

A political group I am in were talking about another attempt to intro tax credit for people to join gyms. Would you be up for a $500 (hypothetical amount) credit to join a the YMCA, or another gym?It is proven that exercise reduces type II diabetes, heart disease, and cholesterol. This could lower the nations dependency on certain prescription drugs.
If you received a tax credit when you filed each year for belonging to the gym, would you be more likely to join your local YMCA, health club, etc?
Adult Fitness Tax Credits have been introduced before, mainly on the state level. But today, people are more health concious. Aren't tey?
This could aid in stimulating the economy, increase the job outlook for fitness professionals, and allow people access to affordable exercise solutions. It been done in Canada and elsewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope :) I take a weights and conditioning class at college and have full run of the gym for free. Sorry!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• That's ok. We are trying to come up with other Preventive/proactive solutions to offset the costs of Universal Health care. It's more of a brain teaser, I think.

6 in one, half dozen in another. But it is worth the debate, I think.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think this is a great reward to those who strive to keep fit and healthy. My health insurance gives a 'rebate' ($100) towards a gym membership. Similar concept, I guess.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• grly if you want to offset health costs preventative medicine is the way to go- this is a GREAT idea. And as for you who have the college membership- one day you won't unless you or your husband is a professor or worker at a college.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 10:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you join the Y you get into a church/state conflict, if you make the Y not an option you remove the only reasonable (barely) priced option for a lot of people. You might be better to go with a healthy food acct - same principle as health savings account, but instead, you get money back for fresh/frozen produce, whole grain products and lowfat dairy. Hamburger Helper need not apply.
    More importantly, they need to bring back the President's Physical Fitness requirments, where PE is mandatory for all students in all states from 1st grade through graduation. And a moratorium on all the bans on running during recess. And another for all the bans on recess period. Oh, and ketchup no longer gets credit as a vegetable in school lunches.
    I'll stop now, sorry...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• not to be mean but a lot of people don't need to go to the gym to work out, that is why people buy the equipment for there homes so they don't have to leave the comfort of there homes.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• NotPanicking, I get what you are saying. Not every town has a rec center. And the YMCA is the most affordable in may areas. Membership is based on income. I think there might be a way around utylizing the YMCA under faith based initiatives, but people aren't limited to only the YMCA.
    It's a tax credit. If the facility is approved by a set of standards (predetermined) and there are documents to support your memebrship, perhaps? Again, We are only talking through some issues and I wanted to run them by ya'll.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• mrssundin; we talked about this in my group. Here is the issue. You can give them a credit for equipment (much like the tax credits they were giving out for buying electric cars, etc).
    But more studies have shown that working out in a group enviroment shows greater success. Trying to provide incentive, this seemed like the best use of Govt tax credits (if ever such a possibility). So, if it were a one time every three years to buy equipment type credit? Maybe, perhaps there might be a way to incorporate people buying equipment but not wasting the credit each year. I tell ya. It gets so complicated to try and make everyone happy. But, looking at the obese rate of American's and it is growing.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Local and state governments, imo, should be doing more. The money isn't there. But an idea with health clubs would stimulate the economy, because memberships would be up, the hope is people would be using their membership and more employees would be needed, and the trickle down could be beneficial.
    grlygrlz2

• grly, is this your question? It's a good one, and I am going to have to think about it for a while. I understand that concept that it will offset the cost of UHC (which I don't think is doable). Just trying to think of what sort of impact it would make on the bottom line. Be back later.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009