Do you let your kids play rated MA video games?

I have to admit I do. Mine play Halo and Gears of War and Army of 2. They are 10 and 12. They know the difference between video games and real life. They play with their dad. They aren't allowed to chat with others on the game and must keep the volume down because no matter what game you're playing if you are on LIVE then some of the chat is totally inappropriate. They have to have an adult in the room with them when they are playing to monitor. They are NOT allowed to play games like Grand Theft Auto because of the amount of foul language among other things shown on there though. Do any of you with kids around that age let yours play Halo, etc.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 15, but yeah the violence in games doesn't bother me and he started when he was about 13. However the kill a hooker to get stuff for yourself games are still out, maybe sounds weird, but i just don't like the idea of the 'plots' in them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• yeah and mine are 4 and 6. but me or my hubby is with them and tell them that it just a game and not to do what they do.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Only certain ones. Things like grand theft auto and ultra-realistic war games are out, but my son isn't interested in them anyway, so it's not an issue.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son is almost 14 and I do not allow him to play any games with an MA rating, nor do I let him watch R-rated movies, etc. Violence begets violence, no matter whether it is fake computer animated violence (that looks waaaay too realistic) or a movie plot, it still has an influence on a developing young mind. I firmly believe that what goes in a body is what comes out, so if I allow him to put garbage in, garbage will come out (just look at today's society and you will see what I mean!). No, I don't have the perfect child; trust me, he has his moments, he is a teenager after all, but for the most part he is a decent kid & gets complimented all the time on his behavior. I wish I could say as much for the children he goes to school with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• LOL, my 1 year old daughter sits in her Daddy's lap with her own controller "helping"Daddy play Halo3. I think it's cute. And yes, all of my children will be allowed to play MA games, just not super nasty ones like GTA and such. The only reason Halo has a MA rating is because of the Live feature and violence (which isn't TOO bad or grahic really)
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Nope! My boys are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 and they only play E rated games. I am keeping it age appropriate throughout.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My 15yr old is allowed to play whatever he wants, he's a good kid and I don't worry about it. My younger ones are only allowed to play E rated games.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009