Is it normal?

Hi I had my baby 2wks ago and I stopped bleeding after a week. Well today all day long off and on I have had these gushes of dark red(not brown) blood. it's enough to soke half a pad each time. it has happend about 6 times. Is that normal? I didnt bleed at all with my first and had compilcations with bleeding to much with my second so i dont know what is normal sorry. Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd probably go get that checked out. Especially since you had nothing and now you are gushing.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter has her 2wks apt tomorrow and it is in the same building as my docs so I will just ask them I guess.
    Anonymous

• What happened with your second? said you had problems bleeding? is this your second, or third? Dark blood is usually old blood..sometimes it takes a while to get rid of it all. I even passed very large clots with mine. One I bled for 4 weeks, another I bled for a week. After 6 weeks and still have bleeding that is bright red may be a concern. Remember bright red is new bleeding.
    dhoppe

Answer by dhoppe at 11:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• This is my third.
    With my second I was bleeding to much. I bled for 2days filling up pad after pad after pad. And passing BIG clots. The drs could never figure out why. But it stopped after a couple more days so. I was just wondering sence I had done stopped bleeding and all.
    Anonymous

• You should call the doctor ASAP.
    SheriBaby415

Answer by SheriBaby415 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Call the doctor ASAP, could be retained placenta which can be dangerous, or it could signal an infection. Also, dark blood doesn't necessarily equate to old blood, new blood in copious amounts can present as dark, brown blood is often considered old. Also you can initiate new bleeding by overdoing yourself, it's your body's signal to rest! Either way call your doc given the bleeding problem you had with your 2nd baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It's normal to bleed, stop, and start up again for 6-8 weeks. But if it is a lot, and RED I'd definitely mention it to the doctor, just to be sure.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2009