Would Obama still be considered the 1st black president if he happened to look more white....or if his wife was white??

Not trying to be ugly, just curious. I am happy to witness this day in history, and I truly hope that he does great things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. He would STILL be bi-racial, and therefore not a "just white" president.

The race of his wife has NOTHING to do with him. Nothing at all.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• He is BI-RACIAL... its really that simple. He is white, he is black, he is both. He is not the first Black President. he is BI RACIAL

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 11:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• not wanting to argue an honest question lisa-momo but if our country couldnt stand together before why do you think we will now? i dont see a change in that this country and some of the peoples views are so beyond lost i honeslty never see us standing together for anything
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

> The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 11:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

thank you so much, he should be proud of both, but since all people can see is his skin color they forget that his mother is white.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Sorry my answer was too MEAN for you: let me rephrase. No. And, you are just trying to start trouble. Feel free to report that, but good golly. (was that vanilla enough?)
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• OP here...I didn't report any answers...guess it was someone else...
    Anonymous

• I was wondering the same thing. I think it is great to have some diversity in the White House (can't wait for the first atheist president). But I have also been confused on the focus of his African heritage. I haven't heard anyone on any news station say he is the first bi racial president. Yet he has been very open about being bi-racial.

I can't remember the specific law but we used to have a law that said that a person was considered black if they had any amount of African in their ancestry. It bothers me that even though this is not the legal case anymore, we still label people as black even if they are not 100% African. It almost seems demeaning.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I see the argument over President Obama's race...is still a major issue for some OP Cafemoms. I don't care if he is purple w/ yellow polka dots.... Hooray for President Obama and First Lady Michelle!!!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Hmm good question I think he would be as long as he acknowleged it although i don't think many people would see him as one in that case. But it really doesnt matter what the color of his skin is. I'm countin on him to make a change!!!
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009