when will i be able to keep shoes on my son? he is 13 months, hates socks and shoes

sheilatanman

Asked by sheilatanman at 11:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There's no way to tell. Every child is different. How different? Mine has never taken hers off once. She's 2.5 years.

What to do? Try soft soled shoes like Robeez. Target sells an inexpensive version. You don't need socks and they seem fairly comfortable.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Have you tried a croc type shoe to get him use to the feeling of shoes, but less constricting. I would make sure to get a good brand though. Not a cheap knock off that is stiff.

Also maybe some socks that are soft, less rough seems. Some kids hate certain sensory feelings.

Oh one more thought what about Robeez ? Those soft leather baby shoes that are more like a slipper.

Just keep trying. I would just let him go barefoot in the house, if it's fine for you, and save the power struggle for when he is out and needs to wear shoes for safety. KWIM ?

I hope some idea in there helps a bit.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• geez, lil hillbilly huh? lol my son was the same way and we do not have a single baby pic w/him in shoes.He just one day stopped.Can you try having him wear them even at home to get used to it? sorry mom but you are going to have to just keep putting them back on him till he gives up.good question tho, I have never heard of anyone having this prob, tho I am sure it is common.Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• good luck my kids are 6 4 and 13 months and they all HATE socks and shoes. My 4 year old will wear shoes with out socks just b/c he hates socks!
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I finally solved the sock issue, I bought plain white tights for my son! Yup, not gonna lie, I'll own it LOL! Ticks him off too, is it bad I laugh an evil laugh when that happens? In all honesty, it was FAR easier to put tights on him rather than chasing down a renegade sock in the store. He eventually got used to them tho. As for the shoes, I had to buy my son some regular shoes, not the soft soled pre walkers. Oh and they had to have laces, he'll pull the velcro off in .067 seconds flat.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 12:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my son LOVED his shoes my DD HATES them lol... every child is different
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2009