I'm 18 weeks pregnant...I was just told that I have severe precancer of my cervix & I have 2 go 2 a cancer specialist 2 find out more.

My OB wasn't very helpful in giving me ne info about this. All he said is that I have 2 see the specialist and they will tell me more. =( My question is....has anyone went through this and I've heard that I will have 2 have a C-Section and get a hysterectomy afterwards. Is this true? Any responses are greatly appreciated b/c I am freiking out about everything right now!!

HISWIFEY1

Asked by HISWIFEY1 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I do not have info, have not been thru it, but you can google your exact question and tons of info will pop up.Or just google"cervical cancer while preg" good luck hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I googled it but nothing really comes up that gives info for pregnant women...it all says getting pregnant after having pre cancer treated. =( I go to the specialist tomorrow for the first time since I've been told that I have severe pre cancer and I'm soooo nervous about what they are going to tell me. I know I'm not going to sleep at all!!
    Thanks anyways for your reply! =)
    HISWIFEY1

Answer by HISWIFEY1 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• it depends on what the specialist finds. you may have to have a c-section. but assuming you only have PREcancer cells and it hasnt affected anything but your cervix you wont have to have a hysterectomy. they can cut out that part of your cervix, which will grow back.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm soooo dreading seeing the specialist tomorrow! Im torn both ways b/c it's driving me crazy not knowing but then again I don't want to know if it's bad news! Thanks for your reply! =)
    HISWIFEY1

Answer by HISWIFEY1 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well, it's precancerous correct? That means it hasn't become cancer so be thankful it was caught very early. I'm no doctor or nurse but my guess is that they'd follow you very closely with paps throughout your pregnancy and if at anytime they felt they needed to act then they *might* take the baby early to treat you. Also, pregnancy is notorious for throwing paps way off so it could be just that and your OB is being very cautious, maybe he had a bad experience with it in the past? I'm just trying to ease your mind and not blow off your situation, it's a very frightening one and I wish you all the best and hope that it's just a funky pap. Good luck and best wishes to you!
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thank You soooo much AudreyJ! I appreciate everyone's responses and I'm just hoping that's all it is! I've heard that about pregnancy hormones can cause a crazy pap smear to come up. My mom has had a lot of female problems after she had me and my brother and ended up getting a hysterectomy and after the hysterectomy the doctor came in and said "well, you don't have to worry about the pre cancer anymore"...that frieked my mom out b/c she didnt' even know she had precancer so yes it is a good thing that they caught it early. I'm just hoping it's not something hereditary. If I do have to have a hysterectomy then that's just what I will have to do and I will definitely do whatever it takes to make sure my baby is healthy. =)
    HISWIFEY1

Answer by HISWIFEY1 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• im not sure how accurate this story is, but my mom told me that she was diagnosed with cervical cancer when she was 3 months pregnant and carried me to term, and that her cervix was VERY short the whole pregnancy, which didnt make sense to me i asked why i wasnt born very early (i was born at exactly 38 weeks) and she said its because she only gained 20 pounds the whole pregnancy.. it makes no sense to me but thats what she told me. then yes she had to have a hysterectomy, but i was born vaginally
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2009