for moms that DIDNT have an epidural

what brought you to make that decision? did you choose or was it just too late to get one? im glad that i didnt, in the end it was a great experience

learae

Asked by learae at 11:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I chose not to with my second, because when I got one with my oldest it was hell. It only worked on the right side of my body, and I couldn't walk for 12 hours after I had her.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I WAS TO SCARED TO GET ONE,I HEARD ALOT OF HORROR STORIES,BUT IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET!!
    Anonymous

• i actually had two done, both which didnt work, that has given me the motivation in the future to not even try! Natural labor wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be anyway
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I had one and it was wonderful. I was a little leary because I dont like the feeling of not being able to feel waste down, so I asked the doctor to try to not make this happen and he was awesome. I still could wiggle my toes but did not feel the brunt of the contractions. I am 40 with a 1 year old and an 18 year old. The one with my eighteen year old petrified me. This one was great, and ironically it wore off just as he was delivered
    sheilatanman

Answer by sheilatanman at 11:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I chose not to have one w/ all three. Why? Cuz I am scared (or was anyway) of needles and that one is huge and it's going into an area where the person doing it HAS to know what they are doing!
    ThreeLovedOnes

Answer by ThreeLovedOnes at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I saw a video of two babies. One had been born without an epidural and the other had been born with an epidural. The difference was like night and day. The baby who had been born without was alert and started looking for a nipple to breastfeed as soon as it was placed on its mothers chest. The other appeared lethargic and medicated.

I had already made my decision before I saw this video but it really made me feel confident in my decision. I chose not to have an epidural for my baby.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• With #1, they lied to me, basically. I was in excruciating pain (complications too long to list here) & begged for one - but they told me that by the time the anesthesiologist got there, it'd be too late.. baby would be here.

Yeah right --- 7 1/2 hrs later they did an episiotomy & went in with forceps. This was with NO drugs.

Knowing what I do about them now, I'm glad I didn't get one. It was still wrong of them, though, to not offer SOME kind of relief -- I was in labor for 3 days.

Anyways, after that, I was diagnosed with severe back issues.... so I chose to go under general anesthesia for my Csections.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i went natural with both of mine...simply because i am scared of that big ole needle going into my spine!....lol...but i am glad and happy with the way my labor went...and after the fact it hurt yes..but it was pain with a purpose....so it wasn't that bad....now would i have aswered it that way when i was in labor..ummmm NO!..lol..but looking nack it was worth it to have the experience.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i ddi with my first but i will not with this one i want to have the experiance i think it would be all even more worth it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I choose, I did not want my baby to have the drugs in her system. I also purposely choose a birth center to avoid being offered it during a weak moment and caving even though an encouraging word would have been able to push me through a bad part.
    Anonymous