How do I dicipline a two year old?

Time outs are not working. My two year old is getting out of control. He can be so good and nice, but then he hits for no apparent reason. When I tell him no and try explaing to him he cannot do that because it hurts, he looks the other way and starts rambling on about something else and then smiles at me and gives me a kiss. I put him in a time out then he continues into a full blown tantrum, kicking and screaming. I don't know what to do?

Tarebear83

Asked by Tarebear83 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sorry im confused....do you put him back in timeout after he rambles and gives you a kiss??
    Anonymous

• yeah he's playing you mom.Keep the time outs going.Example:he hits, et down on is level say"we do not hit and now you gt timeout" leave him there for 2 mins,everytime he gets up to "charm you" put him back,make hi sit the whole 2 minutes.then when it is over go to him and say"you were in time out for hitting, can you say sorry?" time outs work if you keep the child in it.gl.
    Anonymous

• let him throw the fit but dont give in to him!!!! its hard i know!!!! makes u want to pull out your hair!!!! if he is pinching or biting expalin to him that it hurts and tell him u will do it back if he dont stop....obviously u dont pich or bite to seriously hurt them but when i did it i piched my son on the arm he looked at me started cryin i asked him if it hurt he said yeah and i said well then stop doin it or ill do it again yes i know some people will see this and say im cruel but if it dont happen to them how can they truly understand it hurts????? sorry if i made anyone upset!!!
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 11:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• as for the rambling and the kiss, when i put my son in timeout before he gets to come out i tell him what he did wrong, that we dont hit, it hurts and its not nice (hes always in timeout for hitting). then he gives me a hug and a kiss and says hes sorry. well now hes heard the lecture so many times he tells me before i have a chance to tell him that it wasnt nice. and then gives me a hug and kiss before i ask for it. of course it just sounds like a lot of rambling except for a few words. anyway....my point was...it may not be that hes ignoring you or trying to change the subject, it may be that he knows what youre going to say and is trying to save you the trouble. they think they're so smart :)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• if everything ive tried doesnt work and my 2 year old is still throwing a fit ill put him in his bedroom to be alone. after a minute or two he forgets why he was upset to begin with and will start playing with toys

but if the tantrum stems from something like biting or hitting we always do a time out and i dont let down. ill even stay there with him if i have to. those 2 things are not allowed and i want him to know there are consequences
    learae

Answer by learae at 11:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009