Do you redecorate each PCS?

Do you buy all new stuff each PCS, mix old and new stuff, or use all the old stuff when you PCS?

I mix.

GirlWithANikon

Asked by GirlWithANikon at 10:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2012 in Military

• WE lived on base a few times but after being in the USAF for about 7 years we decided to buy homes . So, we could paint, buy curtains,etc. and really decorate. Living in base housing you can't do anythng . We just kept moving the same old furniture and household goods from base to base.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2012

• We use most of the same stuff, but we do get some new things / get rid of some old things. Like, we bought a new curio shelf when we got here. We got rid of an old desk as we were leaving our last duty station.

Most of our decor though is very "Family Circle" sort of thing - it's stuff with memories, like a small statue I bought for my dh when we were in FL, a tea service he bought me when he was in Iraq, some flower pots our kids painted when they were little, that sort of thing. For me, these things reflect our family, our past, etc, and, no matter where we live, it's what helps make it "home", if that makes sense...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2012

• We purge before the packers come and decide what can go. After doing PCS moves since 1994 as an actived duty member and then a spouse in 2005 I am to the point where some boxes don't even get unpacked. I guess we keep a lot of old things, arrange the rooms the same to give us a sense of normalcy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:25 AM on Mar. 8, 2012

• We mostly have used the same stuff, but you kind of have to allow for a change in the design of the new house. Like at our last house we had one bathroom. Now we have 2.5. So bathrooms got re-done. Also, last house we had built in book shelves, this house we had to buy shelves. Last house dd's play area was part of the living room, this house she has a play room. Also, we get rid of anything that isn't worth packing, like bathmats, door mats, shower curtain liners and the hooks, any curtains that aren't in good condition. Pans that aren't worth keeping...that kind of stuff gets re-done. Otherwise we keep stuff pretty much the same to give us a sense of home when we finally get our stuff.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2012

• use the same stuff unless we need new thing, say a couch is old and breaks.. then time to get a new one!!
    although i have to say the most time we new stuff is after deployment. Yeah new cars.. lol
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 4:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• Mostly we just use the old stuff. We might one or two things to make the new space work for us but I certainly to not redecorate each time. We just don't have the money to do it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2012