Is it possible to give birth naturally if you had a c-section previously?

I've heard "no" for the most part....but i dont know how dangerous it is or how possible it is. i want the chance to deliver naturally, i dont feel 100% satisfied as a mother or as a woman without experiencing that special day with the newborn...its an experiance i want so desperatley to have that with my second child.

momand17

Asked by momand17 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes you can.
    Anonymous

• for lots of people it is possible. i think it depends on the situation and your doctor
    learae

Answer by learae at 11:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• No you can't...Because your incision could tear "even though it's all healed up."
    Anonymous

• yes it is possible but usually not recomended its called a VBAC
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• why cant you anonymous? you CAN its done it has been done so whats your reasoning there?
    Anonymous

• Absolutely! It is a lot harder to find a care provider that will work with you, however. That will be your biggest hurdle. Check out these links:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13999

www.ican-online.org

http://www.vbac.com/

squish

Answer by squish at 11:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yes you can its called a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) i had my twins (my first pregnancy) and delivered my daughter and son after vaginally with no complications

RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 11:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• As long as your incision is horizontal, near your pubic area then you should be a candidate for a vbac (vaginal birth after c-section) but you need to check with your dr since some of the decision will be based on your prior pregnancy. If your incision is vertical then I believe most dr's will not consider a vbac. I attempted a vbac with my second child but unfortunately never dilated and ended up with another c-section. Hope this helps!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 11:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes, it is possible.
    If you had a c-section because you have physical problems that make delivery impossible or very difficult, then no, it's not possible. If you had an elective c-section or because something went wrong, then maybe.
    Yes, it can be dangerous.
    Your uterus can rupture during the strain of the delivery.

Partly it's up to your doctor. Most doctors won't risk it because if something goes wrong, they can be sued.
    Partly it's up to fate. If you go into labor before your schedule c-section, then the doctor may reevaluate or may throw you into an operating room right then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes, I had a homebirth after 2 c-sections. It was everything I'd hoped for!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2009