my son is 34 months and recently started to get his poop and smear it on the walls, is this normal?

marthaann540

Asked by marthaann540 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its not necessarily normal, but i have seen it before, i worked in daycare for 4 years and saw a couple kids do it. make sure you nip it in the butt right away. you dont want him gtetting sick of course.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• whether its normal or not, it shouldnt be tolerated.
    thats disgusting and dirty. discipline that child EVERY time s/he does it!
    Anonymous

• oh god more things to look forward to in the future!!!!!!!!!!!! *eye roll* (me not you, i know my son will be just like this)
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• at least he's not eating it!! DDs cousin woke up at 4 in the morning and took off her poopy diaper, smeared it everywhere, and was eating it when her mom woke up. She did the same thing again later that morning.

UGH. Good luck mama! Thats not fun, Im sure!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• HI!
    Have you started potty training? My kids never did that...but maybe it is a sign that s/he is ready to potty train, because s/he realizes there is something in the diaper that doesn't belong? I don't know, but that is what I would think. Maybe you could handle it by saying "Poop doesn't belong on the walls or on your hands. That is yucky. Poop belongs in the potty!" and go from there.
    Just a thought. Good luck!
    Suz_Q

Answer by Suz_Q at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2009