What do I do now?

My daughters imbilical cord just fell off. When I left the hospital they told me to clean it 3 times a day with rubbing alcohol. Now that it has fallin off do I still use the alcohol for what is left? There is just a little bit of stuff left inside it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yup. use the alcohol on a Qtip to get in there and clean out all the dried blood and stuff. this will also help it to heal completely
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Alcohol is baaaad.. It destroys new skin cell growth..
    Water is all you need to clean it with.. I realize you've used the alcohol until this point and your baby is "just fine", but now that you know that it's not a good idea, I would recommend you discontinue use..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• WHy would the hospital and Dr tell me to use it if it is bad thanks for your input but i think I will keeo doing it. At least til that stuff is gone.
    Anonymous

• sorry i forgot to mention, i had to keep using the alcohol because my dd's fell off before it shoud have (the dog licked it off, i know gross) and so it wasnt totally healed, thats why i had to use alcohol. when i read your question i thought you may have the same kind of situation. but if it is totally healed, yeah only use water. sorrybout that!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well i dont think it is but she goes to the dr tomorrow so I will just ask her iguess.
    Anonymous

• I would say a good number of hospitals now say just use water and not alcohol because it's not good for the baby... it drys the skin. I would only use alcohol if it is stinky
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• when I took my daughter to her 2 week check up it was still just barley hanging on, lol it actually fell off in the doctors hand. There still was a little bit there like your daughtes, my doctor told me I didn't need to use the alcohol anymore just keep it clean.
    Anonymous

• makes sense. i was mainly told to use the alcohol after bath time to help dry up all the extra moisture in there, especially because she still had a lot left
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• dont use alcohol buy the gold bond medicated powder it work excellent my baby umbilical healed so fast my midwife told me to used it works great u should tried

evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2009