circumsition

my son gets circumsized tomorrow and i feel so bad for him...does it hurt them when they get it done???what about afterwords...is it hard to clean when diaper changing ect.....

ashlei_kay

Asked by ashlei_kay at 12:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um im sure it hurts them because they do feel pain it does look worse than wat it is they tell u to keep antibiotic cream on it (NEOSPORIN) its not hard to keep clean but is really red and looks super hurty
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 12:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• just be careful when u cleaned and put a lot of Vaseline i used to put Vaseline on his diaper where his wiwi was and have no problems

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son isn't circ'd but I care for babies who are.
    it hurts when it's done... but often time the doctor uses something to numb it a bit and the baby gets sugar water which helps them relax.
    I would say it's most painful right after when they check for bleeding about 15 mins later. The pressure is release and they scream their little heads off. I'm sure it hurts for several days but the baby sleeps more to cope with the pain.
    They should teach you how to clean and care for it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• when my son had it they told me he would not feel the pain. they numb it first. the whole procedure takes like 5 minutes. i had to keep a gauze with petroleum jelly on it. I changed that every diaper change. i really don't think it as bad as it seems. plus they are to small to remember it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Heck yea it hurts! Would you like to have a piece of skin lopped off with no drugs? Now they sometimes give a local anesthetic and some Tylenol but not all hospitals do it. My son isn't circumcised mainly because I couldn't put him through the pain of having it done. Granted they won't remember it but still. I'd strongly recommend doing some research before the procedure tomorrow. The only reason I could find as a reason to have it done aside from religion was aesthetics. I couldn't find one medically beneficial reason to have it done. It's a surgical procedure and runs the risk of infection and since there's no hard scientific evidence that circumcision is a health benefit I chose to leave my son intact to spare him the pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes, it hurts. They are yanking the foreskin form the baby's glans and it is firmly attached! Good luck, it's not something I'd put my child through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes, it hurts. And it hurts for a while, too.

It sounds as though you may not have done enough research on this procedure before deciding to have it done -- unless, of course, your son has a medical reason which deems it necessary. I'd HIGHLY recommend you'd look into it a lot more first. This is something that is painful & irreversable... and the foreskin does serve a purpose.

If you go through with it, though... just be sure the dr. explains which procedure he'll be performing (there is more than one way to do a circ) --- make sure it's the one you want him to do. And make sure he uses at LEAST a local anesthetic.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Make sure you do research. When my son had his done. A very stupid nurse forgot to put vasline on his winky and it got stuck to the diaper. Just make sure you put plenty of vasline on it and pull the skin back so it doesn't go back together again. In a week he'll be fine. This is a personal prefrence. Like the ladies before me said, there isn't really any reason behind removing the skin. His father was and he felt that it needed to be done. I didn't care either way.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 12:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It probably hurts, but the doctor numbs it a bit before cutting. I used A & D ointment on my sons penis after about 2 days it wasn't red anymore. Just make sure you keep it clean and lubed up and he should be fine.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It hurts the little guys, but it's not a yanking of the forskin like mentioned above. I used to work in the NICU and we helped the drs perform these all the time. The baby should get some numbing lidocaine shots in around the shaft of his pee pee towards the body. It takes about a min or 2 to become numb and then it depends on if they are using the plastibell procedure or the gomco procedure. I watched both procedures and I chose to have the gomco procedure done. If you want more info on this msg me. It does become sensitive for the first couple days when little guy pees, but it gets better. Just load up the petrolium jelly!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009