3 yr old taking a drink to bed

my dd will be 3 1/2 this month we are fixen to switch her from a toddler bed to a twin bed. she still takes a drink to bed sometimes juice, choclate milk and comes out like 2 times before she will go to sleep and is wanting more drink sometimes i wont give it to her becouse she will pee more in her pull up and it will leak if she wets too much. i usually make her go pee before i will give her more drink. HOW DO I BREAK HER FROM TAKING A DRINK TO BED!!!! I HATE THE FACT THAT SHE NEEDS A DRINK TO GO TO BED!!!!

lwoolsey

Asked by lwoolsey at 12:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its a comfort thing. try giving her water to take to bed. this will be way better on her teeth then juice or milk. she also probably wont want as much because water isnt as tasty as the others and it should help to have her drink less. sorry i wish i had more advice
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If you want her to stop, then don't let her. You're the mom. (and all that sugar sitting on her teeth all night isn't great, either) It will be a rough couple of nights, but she'll adapt. It's a habit, and can be broken.

Are you potty training yet? All that liquid isn't going to make potty training at night any easier. Stop all drinks at least one hour before bed....two is better for my guys...and the leaks (and possibly the peeing) will stop I'd think.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my DD is 3 1/2 and she brings a drink to bed. Just water though, and the cup is only filled 1/4 of the way. I dont have a problem with her doing it. I wouldnt let your DD let her bring juice or cm though. Not good for her teeth. Try water! Who knows she might not like it and that could end the drinks at bed!
    maddisont05

Answer by maddisont05 at 6:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son is 3 1/2 and almost always has water at bedtime - I don't allow anything else because water is the healthiest for him. I'm not night time potty training yet and I found some great nighttime pull-ups that rarely, if ever, leak. But if you don't want them to have something to drink , then just start setting the limits and consequences.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It is a comfort thing.
    First, it should only be water. You are rotting out her teeth with the juice and milk. So, do you want to put up with an "I want juice" tantrum or do you want to watch a dentist put her under and yank some teeth? The first is annoying. But you will never forget the horror of seeing your child's body go limp as she is put to sleep in the dentists chair. Water only.
    Second, give her a bedtime pass. She gets the one cup to take to bed. She can use the bedtime pass to get one trip out of her room. Once the pass is gone, she stays in her room. You can use a reward system too - if she still has her pass in the morning, she gets a sticker on a chart. Earn enough stickers for a toy or treat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• yes my dd is potty trained she just wets the bed still. anyone GOT ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET HER TO QUIT WETTING THE BED.
    lwoolsey

Answer by lwoolsey at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Ok, just don't give it to her is the craziest answer I've ever heard. My son had this issue also. I started giving a little less in the sippy cup week by week. Once it got down to less than half I started giving the drink earlier in the night before bedtime. I tried to connect it to tv instead of bedtime. For example, after his bath he has his calming time with an educational movie, than bed. I worked the drink into that time instead of when he was in bed. I also tricked him a bit by buying smaller sippy cups at first. Good luck. Just remember to do what you think is best.
    shelleyla20

Answer by shelleyla20 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• For the wetting the bed issue...
    Until she doesn't have fluids at bedtime, you're out of luck.
    Also, remember that many kids (20% or more) wet the bed until 5. Doctors don't consider it a medical problem until somewhere between 6 and 8 years old - that's how common it is.
    So, work on getting rid of the bedtime drink. You can also start waking her for a potty run just before you go to bed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my dd does use the potty before bed and she will even get up sometimes after she has fallen asleep to go potty i think thats why she wants more drink like she is thinkin she need one to fall back asleep. what i need to start doing is when my 10 month old wakes up for his formula cup get her up to go potty. i guess i am gonna have to make my self.
    lwoolsey

Answer by lwoolsey at 2:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009