For anyone working for the federal government...

I am wondering what it takes to get a job with the federal gov't. I am a graduating polysci major, and I would like to work for the government someday, but I am wondering what it takes to even be considered. I am wondering mostly about background checks, not that I have DONE anything wrong but I've written a blog or two in my day that wasn't necessarily so "approving" of the government... Do they do extensive b.g. checks all the time, or just for high-level positions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, I work for the Dept. of Commerce. They actually do very thorough background checks. If any information isn't accurate for a person you list as a reference, you might not be hired. They send letters to those references with questions about your past, such as drug use, temperament, etc. There is a question that asks specifically , "Can you think of any reason this person would not be suitable for this job?" As far as post against the gov., can you delete them? I would strongly suggest you try. Good look. Several branches have web sites listing their job offerings.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• you have to have a taste for fine drugs and expensive cars, like to be extremely overpaid, but bitch often about how bad your job sucks, like to brag about working for the government, and you usually have to write a KSA
    sorry, my MIL works for FEMA- but if you ask her she works for "the Government, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Association, FEMA" - yes, she really says all that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Anon 8:32 ... I just have to say that was so funny, and sadly true!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009