double side-by-side or sit n stand?

I have a son who turned 3 in November and am expecting a baby in 2 months. I can't decide whether to purchase a sit n stand or a double side-by-side stroller. I am considering the sit n stand because you can snap an infant car seat into it, which is really handy, but only for the first 8 months or so and it would give my 3 year old the freedom to get up or down as he pleases. But I LOVE my single umbrella stroller and I am also considering a double umbrella like a MacClaren (sp?) because it's so easy to steer and it folds up so small and my 3 year old can face foreward, rather than backward, or recline to take a nap. (Napping seems to be NOT an option with the little jump seat on the back of the sit n stand!) What would you suggest? And how long did your child USE a stroller, anyway? I assume my 3 year old will soon not want to sit in a stroller all the time, but I don't see him walking the zoo for 3 hours anytime soon either!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 1:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it always seems that the side-by-sides take up so much room in a crowd, like the mall or wherever there is people going in different directions.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would say go for the double Maclaren and a Ring Sling or Mei Tai (I make them). I carried my dd everywhere for the first 6m. Now at 1 she either rides in her single Maclaren or in the sling. I often wear her and push my son (6) in her strolled we he gets worn out when we are shopping or at the zoo.
    Good luck!
    lovemyznz

Answer by lovemyznz at 1:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I thought about doing that- wearing the baby while pushing the single, but then I remembered how nice it was to be able to pull the sleeping baby out of the car and snap his carseat into the stroller without him even waking up... decisions, decisions...
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 2:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It depends on your three year old. My 2 1/2 year old walked for 3 hours at the zoo last summer! LOL He's a bundle of energy and always on the go...

I've had a tandem stroller (not a sit and stand) and a double jogger (well, a triple jogger too, but that's a different story). I HATED the tandem, however, I did a lot of walking around town. I had to pop it up over curbs, over cracks in the sidewalks, and if I wasn't careful I gave them whiplash! lol

The jogger goes everywhere! It goes over just about any curb, I don't have to pop it over cracks in the sidewalk or anything. I've taken it to the mall, to the doctor's office, to the store, etc...if there is a door with a 36 inch opening, I could get it there!

The smaller the wheels, the harder to use for walking.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have both and love and hate both :0) I love the Combi side by side for the boardwalk, the zoo, walking around town, etc but hate it at the mall (it doesn't fit through the isles in the stores). I love the Joovy sit n stand for the mall and trips around town, but since both kids can't nap, we only use it for short trips.

I bought both because we couldn't find one double stroller that fit all our needs.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm afraid I'll wind up with both, too!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 1:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009