Booster seat stigma for 10 year old?

My 10 year old stepson is, in my opinion, not tall enough in the back seat (hubby lets him ride in front seat even though I always object to that) and the seat belt on its lowest shoulder height setting crosses his neck so I keep pushing my husband to get him just a small $15 booster.

My husband thinks kids would make fun of him for being 10 years old and still in a booster. I don't care what kids think.  I am not talking one with a back on it- just the little seat type.

My 4 year old is still in a 5 point harness seat and will be for a LONG time to come.

Should I get the 10 year old a booster seat? Any other kids that age still using boosters??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2012 in General Parenting

• How tall is he and how much does he weigh?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• Not sure... I would say he is like 48" and maybe 60 pounds? We will need to measure him next time he is at our house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• 10 years old is too old to be in a booster seat.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• My son will be 10 in June, and he's in a Britax Frontier 85 booster. He's skinny and so much more comfortable in the booster, and I know he's safe. He doesn't care. He's always been in a seat, and I don't think he realizes that a lot of kids his age are out of theirs. My 6 year old (will be 7 in June) is in a 5 point.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• So on the small side. I think technically you are right although I see why your husband feels the way he does. I know that at 40 the seat belts always choke me lol. I know there are clips that you can pin on the seat belts, that might be a possibility. I 'll see if I can find them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I would not. I don't have either of my older children in boosters. They can both use regular belts. I find all this car seat craze to be pure money hungry companies preying on the fears of parents... We grew up without car seats or belts, and we're here... Chances are the only thing that seat is going to do is get him beat up on the play ground...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• like this, there are other brands though.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=538282
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I would look into a seat belt adjuster. They sell them at babies r us. We have one of those as well as a booster for my niece. We just wanted to see what was going to be safer for her since she was bigger than your average 5 yo.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I insisted that my oldest use a booster until the natural bend of his knee hit the end of his seat and the belt fell properly at the shoulder. He was close to his 9th birthday by the time he was tall enough for both in our cars. The vast majority of his peers were out of boosters as soon as they turned 8 in accordance to the state law. He did everything he could to not let his friends (who had moved out of the seat) know he was still using one. He didn't argue with us too hard, however, after I reminded him that the only reason I walked away from a really bad accident (rolled my car multiple times down an embankment!) was because my belt fit properly and worked. Still, he wasn't ever comfortable with us carpooling as long as he had to ride in the booster after turning 8.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• FYI I know in some states it is against the law for a child under 12 and 100lbs to sit in the front seat. Might want to check into the law for your state.
    coala