???HELP!

Should my 6 week old be on a consistent schedule yet. if so what should do to get him in routine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's never to early to start a schedule. Don't expect the baby to catch on fast though. I did both my kids the same way. When they were babies I would feed them at the sametime every day. Bath them the sametime every day. Basically I was very consistent with them. By the time they were 3 months old they were sleeping through the night and awake most of the day. Small naps here and there but they knew what time bedtime and feeding time was. It will be hard but you'll get through it.

Good Luck!!!
    Towanda
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 1:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No, your son absolutely does not have or need to be on a schedule. But if you want your son on a schedule, then you can work him into it by doing the same routine each day and evening. Even then, he may not agree to a routine. My daughter is two years old and still refuses to be on a schedule. Each child does differently.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• All kids are different so what works for one mama may not be right for your baby.really there is no timeline for a set schedual, just hang in there and try to reinforce what regular stuff you can, like baths and bedtime. 6 weeks is a lil early to have a totally set schedual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Oh, and my daughter was sleeping through the night within her first month. And was the sweetest, most wonderful baby. So having a routine doesn't really matter as far as your child's temperament.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• There is a book called the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It was really easy to understand and follow through. Having my daughter on a sleep schedule REALLY helped me. She was in a better mood throughout the day, slept through the night, and generally seemed like a happier kid.

Its not something you should stress about. Just find something that works for you and your LO.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• No baby should be on a schedule.
    A routine is all you need.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Feed on demand, sleep on demand, pee when he wants, poop when he wants....man, wish I was a baby! lol

It's much easier at this age to go with HIS flow right now. I waited until we were starting food at meal times. We had set mealtimes and then the baby adjusted his other needs for the day around that on his own. Soon, we had set meal times, he was taking a snack and nap at fairly regular times and he had a pretty set bedtime. I just found it much easier to work that way.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Try to do the same things around the same time each day. Don't go crazy though. Nothing set in stone.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• no. babies don't run on clocks. just go with the flow. it's not that hard & not at all harmful. my baby just kinda set her own routine on her own time. but i never put her on a schedule. there's no point in pushing something so useless. you'll just stress yourself & your baby that way.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i personally just went with the flow. i followed my dd's cues and went from there. babies will have many different routines, once you think you have it figured out, they'll change it up on you. my dd got into her routine around 4 months and has been somewhat predictable since. i breastfed on demand and everything else just kinda fell into place. it's tempting to want to put them on a schedule, especially when other people are telling you what your child should or shouldn't be doing, but if you just follow your lo's cues everything else will fall into place.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009