I am so disappointed in my son right now,, I just had a 15 minute cry,, now what to do?

I got a call from the teacher, someone had stolen a juice box from another child's lunch. She questioned everyone and my son said that another girl had taken it a put it in his desk. The other girl was adamant that she didn't (but has stolen things in the past.) My son was in trouble because the teacher has asked all day about this and he didn't come forward until late in the afternoon, juice box in hand.
I had a very bad feeling about this, he begs for juice in his lunch all of the time, but we prefer him to drink milk,, so when she finally called me, I said put him on the phone, I said you know how at the convient mart they have cameras? He said yes,, I said well you have them in your classroom, and I asked the principal to review it,, so good thing you told who did, it,, he burst into tears, and confessed.
Now I have 2 problems, he stole, and he lied about someone ELSE doing it, he was the person of the week, (been revoked) No playtime, and no field trip tomorrow. I plan on taking away cartoons for the next 2 weeks, and some other things, but mostly am just sad that he would do such a thing.
ANY ADVICE before (or after) I go get him would be helpful,, (he just turned 7 if that helps)

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 5:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• To many consequences for this situation. Person of the week has been revoked, no field trip, and apologize to the girl. He needs to pay the girl for the juice box out of his own money.
    Spanking is never good.
    I find his behavior pretty normal. i would not over react...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I think you need to take a deep breath. Your discipline decisions are sound and good.

Kids do these things because, let's face it, kids are dumb. That's why they have heavy parental supervision for close to two decades. His reaction proves he knows what he did was bad/wrong. That means he is learning what you're teaching him.

Really, don't worry too much. Coala speaks the truth. Every one of my kids made a terrible choice at some point in their early childhood. It's not a portent of things to come. It's just life with a 7 year old. All will be well.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 5:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I stole something from a kids lunch at that age. My parents made me work it off. Plus a "fine" like you get in jail for breaking the law. I got grounded like your son, and I had to scrub the toilets at home with a toothbrush to pay off my fine. I never stole again. It taught me a valuable lesson that things cost money. Parents had to spend money for that, and I had no right to take it. After I had paid off my fine, I had to take the money I had "earned" and pay the kid's parents back. Double whammy. Total suckville. Ive been a lawabiding citizen ever since. That sucked sooo bad. Valuable lesson learned.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• most kids steal something at some point in their lives. It is a learning opportunity. Let him see how sad and disappointed you are in him.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 5:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• do they really have cameras in his class, or did you lie about that? just what caught my attention, because there are not cameras in my ds's elementary classes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• I would only punish him once for what he did and not a list of things. --

ITA..yeah, i can't believe it either. but, it does seem his punishment is excessive.
    jmho
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• My SO's response this is:

Is he was the nerdy kid in class. He was actually the one who stole things from other kids lunch boxes. He was in trouble frequently as a child b/c of this. I can only imagine what his Mom felt, and it is probably similar to what you are feeling like right now. My SO also wants you to know that he has grown up to become a responsible member of society and realizes that what he did in elementary school was not right, but he had a problem with impulse control. I personally think that you are on the right track with the discipline and remind him of the things that can happen b/c he lied. Remind him that the other little girl could have gotten in trouble and he needs to think about that. I wish you all the luck with this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• so there will be spanking AND groundation AND he admitted it-KNOWING he would be in trouble AND he is barely 7?!

I dunno- but I think that's all a bit of overkill you know? He is 7 not 17. He obviously knows what he did was wrong I think there should be one punishment and a talk and leave it at that
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2012

• Although what you son did was not right, i dont think forcing a confession with a lie is a good thing either.
    Anonymous

• I think it sucks you told him there's cameras. He's going to feel 'watched' all the time now...and that's shitty.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 6:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2012