i have a family now and i need to learn how to cook

how do i start . it cant be thats hard can it?? well i need help learning how to cook .

babymomma6

Asked by babymomma6 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you know how to use newsgroups, try rec.food.cooking, which is a great community of people who love to cook and who will be more than happy to help with any questions, give recipes and advice, and just be friends. You can check out our website to see if you'd like to visit the newsgroup too:

http://recfoodcooking.com/

It's a great group, and one that I've been an active participant in since 1992, so I know of what I speak :) lol

For recipes, other than the stuff I already mentioned, there's also allrecipes.com and recipezaar.com, which have more recipes than you can shake a stick at!

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Sweetheart . . one of the best site with the easiest instructions is Recipezaar.com . . . If you can read . . then you can cook. There are certain terms that can be confusing like consomme=broth, parboil=partially boil . . not the whole way, Blanch=boil then submerge in COLD water to keep the color. I'm sure there are many more, but we are all here to help. And babymomma . . . the best tool is practice!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I like to watch the food network, their website has lots of great recipes. Or just buy an easy cook book.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Cooking really is not very hard. It just takes practice. Try watching Food Network, since a lot of the time it is easier if you can see how things should look along the way as well as when they're finished. Be careful with cooking magazines...regardless of amazing cover photos, there are definitely some that are better than others.

Cook's Illustrated is a good one for learning, since they do a good job explaining why you're doing what the recipe says. So is Cuisine at Home, and Cook's Country, which both have meal cards that you can pull out and save.

My blog has a lot of pictures to go with the recipes if you'd like to give it a look too:

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I was the same way when I got married. One of the first things I learned, which really would have been handy to know BEFORE, was just because a disposable pan comes with a lid, does not mean that lid can actually go in the oven with the pan. Apparently it will melt and plastic lasagna doesn't taste so great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It's not that hard IMO....most basic recipes anyway. There are some things that are hard to cook. The most difficult thing, I think is getting everything done at the same time so that it is all hot and nothing is overcooked, but this is something you will get used to. You'll get the hang of it. There are some great groups here on cafemom that share recipes, tips, etc. I will share a recipe that is practically foolproof and comes out tasting so good you can't stop eating it...it is also all made in the same pan so you don't have several things going at once...
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 6:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Put a 3 LB round roast in a large roasting pan. Cut three to four onions into quarters and put in the pan around the roast. Cut as many potatoes as you want into quarters (3 - 5) and place them around the roast. Clean as many carrots as you want, (I usually use a whole bag ) cut them in half - just so that they are shorter and fit easily in the pan around the roast. Sprinkle with garlic powder ( I use a lot) about two tablespoons, and pepper, about a teaspoon. Pour on about 1/4 cup La Choy soy sauce. Add water about two to three inches deep. Put in a 350 degree oven and cook uncovered for about 4 hours. Check in about 3 hours and put a lid on for the last hour if it looks dry or crusty on top. It tastes just like Bob Evans pot roast.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 6:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Lots of good advice here. But did you know they make cookbooks that actually show step by step how to's? I think Betty Crocker even has one that is made especially for new brides, and I'm sure they have in mind the fact that a new bride might need to learn how to cook. I would stop in Borders or a local bookstore and ask them about it. I would buy a good cookbook, one that shows all the basics, and then you could always check out the cookbooks in the library. I have gotten some great recipes from the library books.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• betty crocker.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/home.aspx
    Copy and paste that link in your browser.
    It uses products that you may already have in your pantry.
    best of luck to you.
    TexasSweetheart

Answer by TexasSweetheart at 4:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009