Any ideas on how to teach an energetic little boy how to tie his shoes?

My son is 5 soon to be 6 in October. He really wants to learn to tie his shoe. We spend about 10 to 15 min practicing and our session always ends with him being frustrated. I am a teacher so I have patience but I wonder what I am doing wrong with my own child. Thanks for your suggestions.

TIGGA01

Asked by TIGGA01 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you using those stories? Like the bunny and the tree? Maybe it would help him to remember a short story.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My son is very active, and we started with "cross and under then two ears, then cross and under". His dexterity wasn't high enough to use the one ear and push through method until he was a little older.
    amy_a_98229

Answer by amy_a_98229 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• We just spend about 15 mins 2-3 times a day practicing. My daughter got frustrated too, but we just tell her to do what she can and we will do the next step later
    NikkiMarie333

Answer by NikkiMarie333 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• What worked with my son was this. In his Kindergarten class his teacher had a "special" club just for the kids who was able to tie their own shoes. In turn, this "club" was to help other kids in the class to tie their shoes when needed. That's what made him want to learn. My daughter on the other hand is 8 and she just learned this past year.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 4:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2008