My baby boy is 1 years old when should I stop breastfeeding?

Socorro2

Asked by Socorro2 at 5:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whenever you and your son want to. World health Organization recommends 2 yrs. It is really up to you and the child. The milk is still good for him. Much better than cows milk. Most babies self wean somewhere between 18 months to 2 yrs. A few go on nursing which causes no harm. No one else should dictate when you should wean. Congrats on doing what is best for baby, and you as well!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• There is no special time, just whenever you both are ready. My daughter turns 2 today and I just stopped 1 month ago. The longer you can do it the better, but my daughter was asking for it and pulling down my shirt, so I decided it was time to stop.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 7:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When he wants to.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Whenever you want. My 22 month old is still nursing and I doubt he's stopping any time soon. The WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When ever you and your kiddo want. I let both of my kids self wean my son quit at 13 months he was just done. My daughter was 2 1/2. you go mama.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• when he stops wanting it. for health's sake, you should go a minimum of 2 years. but the longer the better. it's better for his immune system, oral development, IQ, tummy, etc. & you won't have to give him milk from another animal with chemicals & hormones. there are so many reasons to keep going & none to stop. so why ruin a good thing? self weaning is a natural thing. my 15mos old probably won't stop for another few years.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• when he wants to is best, but it is not doing any one any good if you start getting miserable.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter weaned herself at around 11 months, but I would have kept breastfeeding until we were both done. Don't give into external pressure. Do what is best for you and your baby.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Congrats for nursing so long!! I didn't stop nursing Casey till she was 13mos. The only reason we stopped was because she lost interest and my milk dried up. Just wait till he is ready to stop.
    colieshea

Answer by colieshea at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Keep on keeping on, mama! You're doing a great thing for your baby (or toddler) by continuing your nursing relationship!
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 8:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2009