spitting up question

my daughter is 5 and a half months and she has been spitting up since day one. Ive talked to the dr about it but she said as long as shes gaining weight she is fine...ive tried elevating her, holding her after her bottles to keep her upright and nothing works. After every single bottle that she eats she spits up a few times no matter what I do. Sometimes its alot of spit up sometimes its just a little. Its not the formula because when i was breastfeeding she was doing the same thing. She never once has cried after spitting up so Im not as worried but when will this spitting up stage end?? Does anyone else have any ideas that I could try?

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 6:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first did this. I kept pressing the DR about switching formula, and she said no. I swear the baby would spit up all of what she took in. I'd keep her elevated about 25 min. after each feeding. Also, try burping her more and harder. I know I was to gentle with my now 7 year old. A firm pat really is ok. Have you tried to burp her by laying her across your thighs on her belly. It might help. Some babies just spit up and have no real issues. It is messy, but true. Best Wishes.  It got better around 8 months when she could sit up better and had more balance and control of her own body.  So you are on the way.  If you feel something is really wrong, push for a specialist or 2nd opinion.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• what kinda bottles are you using? AND my Daughter spit up so much also..everyday all the time, We switched formula and she became a lil better.But some babies just are messy.. :(
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am using the Born Free bottles. I asked the dr if we should switch her formula also and she said no. She uses similac advanced....my mother in law keeps pressuring me into switching to enfamil but besides spitting up she does great on it, i dont want to mess her up. She also spits up more now that she is sitting up and laying on her stomach. I cant wait for it to be over!!!
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 7:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had the same exact problem i didnt use any fancy bottles i used evenflo original glass with the nuk nipples. we ended up bringing our daughter to the hospitial because she was spitting up everything i gave her for the day so they said to give her 1 teaspoon of rice in her bottle for every 4 oz. IT WORKS to make the hole in the nipple larger just stick a fork in the hole a couple of times. I promise you it will work your baby might have acid reflux & the rice will help hold it down. there will still be spit up as their always will be but this will help huge you'll see a big change good luck!
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• oh and also try to keep her upright for 15-30 minutes after you feed her. i did this just for the beginning with the rice & it helped too..
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I agree that as long as she's gaining weight, and not uncomfortable, there's no problem. The spitting up stage is different with every baby. It could stop tomorrow, it could stop next week, it could stop in 5 months.... you can't really tell.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have a happy spitter too and am trying to be patient and wait for her to outgrow it. This link helped put my mind at ease that it will pass with time. http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/babies/spittingup.html#4
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It took 11 months for mine to stop spitting up, her sphincter (sp?) valve wasn't fully developed. She didn't just spit up a little, I used to call her my little exorsist baby, you could be on the other end of the couch and she would get you. But She was still gaining weight so she was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my son used to spit up until he was about 7 mos old. that is when he started eating good. have you tried the thickend formula? i think it is called enfamil ar or something. it is for those spitty babies. we tried it w/ wyatt but he didn;t like the tast.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help but to laugh at sammiesmom's response. It's too close to home! My son pulled the exorcist spits too. He's also 51/2 months and we finally switched his formula from Enfamil Lipil to the Enfamil GentleEase. Its made a pretty substantial difference. He still spits up, but he's no longer a super soaker! We've always used the Dr Browns bottles so I can't really say that the bottles were the cause...Good luck.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009