what is with this child?

My nearly 6 month old used to sleep great, but the last month or so he wakes up around 2 am and sits in his crib and talks to his hands. He'll do it for 2 hours before he goes back to sleep. he doesn't cry or fuss, just talks, but his bedroom is right next to mine and I keep the door open, so I end up sitting up 2 hours reading a book until he goes back to sleep. It wouldn't be a problem but I have to get up two hours after that to go to work and I feel like a zombie. There are no nightlights in his room or anything that would keep him awake, so I don't understand this behavior. Any ideas?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 6:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it's just a phase he is going through. Does he go to bed too early? When my daughter goes to bed too early she wakes up and I get up with her in the middle of the night for a few hours before she will go back to sleep.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I read this to my husband...He laughed and said, "What is the problem? He's just crazy like the rest of us." ... Seriously though, I think it is just a sign that he is very smart and creative. My twins used to talk to their fingers...and their food...and any other object - anything and everything became a doll or imaginary friend. They are both avid readers and by the time they were 8 would read 100 pages of a book before breakfast. They each have an IQ of about 145. They have gotten all A's in school since kindergarten. Now they are seniors in high school and they are 2nd and 3rd in their graduating class and they can both draw and paint and have won art contests, spelling Bees, etc. and they are going to college on academic scholarships. When they were babies, I thought they were strange...Now I call it "creative."

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• haha that is so funny... sometimes they are just awake. I would try to feed my daughter if it was her to get her back to sleep. Is he going to bed early? I know up until the past 4 days my 9 month old was a horrrrrible sleeper! I tried everything if hes content just let him be and shut his door turn your monitor on but on low so that youll just hear him if he cries not if hes talking to his hands. When our babies start to discover their body they just can watch then and talk to them forever. my daughter talks to her hands, her food, her binkie, herself in the mirror basically anything that will listen. Good luck.
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• honey, he sounds like my kid! shes been doing that since she was bout 7 months old...shes now 21 months and still does it, but now its 4am, and she says she just wonts to play.. just play she says. so I cant say theres any hope or not but if hes like my kid he will never sleep lol.
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 7:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• As long as he's not fussing and you know what he's up to, just let him play. Go ahead and go back to sleep. If he wakes you up talking he'll wake you up if he starts to cry too. Just because he's up there's no reason for you to be up if he is fine.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I domt know,but i have to say thats pretty cute. i would try and get it on film or something! maybe he is dicovering what all those hands can do!
    Anonymous