Has anyone else seen this :-(

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090120/Boy.Dead.Mother/

The long and the short of this is, a single mom (who had relocated there with her child after Katrina), died like 10 days ago, and her poor child lived with the body the whole time. A shop owner found out when the boy tried to buy groceries with her credit card. (The boy had been in more than once over the time since she had passed.)

I feel so horrible about the whole situation, but I can't help but have a part of me wonder why this poor child didn't say something to someone sooner?

What do you all think? Have you seen anything on this?

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 6:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG that poor little guy.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I haven't seen it, will have to look it up. The child probably did not know how to react or what to do. In shock I'm sure. How sad.
    two_girls

Answer by two_girls at 7:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That's said. He was probably just too scared to speak up about in fear of what may happen to him and where he would go. He already lost his father and now his mother. I can't even imagine what he was thinking or going through. I do hope they find his other relatives so he isn't stuck in foster care.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I saw this earlier it is very sad. I hope child services can find his family and hope on eof them will take him in. So glad the store owner asked about his mom and called the police.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Please don't misunderstand - I didn't mean my question about why he didn't tell someone in a "well, why didn't he just speak up" way - I meant it as "that poor child - oh why didn't he say something so he could have gotten help and not gone through that" way.

I remember how scared I was when my kids were little and we had just transferred to a city where I didn't know ANYONE and my dh had to go. I hadn't even seen my neighbors yet, let alone gotten to know them (at least in passing) that they would notice if something was wrong at my house. I was terrified that something would happen to me and my babies would be left home alone for who knows how long. Thankfully, my mil totally understood how I felt, and she either called me or I called her - even if just for a couple of minutes, pretty much every day.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My heart just breaks for this boy - he went through that horrible hurricane, he lost the home he knew, he lost his dad, he's not lost his mom. I can't help but wonder, with his comment that "she's in a better place", combined with what he's been through and add his not saying anything sooner if he wasn't, in a way, hoping to die, too.

I pray that isn't the case, but I can't help but wonder if that was a part of it. That poor child!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• awww this is so sad.... so no family at all? i hate the foster care system... there are so many people in it for the wrong reasons... i hope they place him in a good home. :(
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Poor baby. My prayers go out to him...he must have been so scared.
    1hotlilmama

Answer by 1hotlilmama at 10:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• crying

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• he probably didn't want to get stuck in some sort of foster care and that is why he didn't say anything, that and the fact that his mother was probably the person that he had left.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009