How do I stop my eight and a half month old son, from rolling over in the middle of the night and waking himself up constantly?

I'm six months pregnant with our next one and my husband is a very heavy sleeper so i have night duty, he helps at times at night but thats when I'm desperate. Our son has his own crib, and nursery, and has been sleeping through the night since 4 months old, but for the past 2 months or so, he has been waking up numerous times, every time we go in there after waitng a minute or so of course to see if he will fall back asleep, we find him pushing up on his belly. We've tried eveything, night light, no light, different blankets, room temp, nightime bottle adjustments, the wedge, music, projectors, sound machines, rocking you name it. Please I'm desperate and very overwhelmed i'm going to have two infants by May, somethings got to give any suggestions? HELP!!!

crazylittlekick

Asked by crazylittlekick at 7:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He needs to learn how to sleep on his stomach...or roll himself back over. It comes with time.

Is he waking fussing, crying, screaming or just kind of talking?

Try going in as soon as you hear him and roll him back over before he's completely awake?

Is he crawling yet? Pushing up on his belly, I'm thinking he may just be getting ready to learn a new skill...my boys were horrible sleepers right before learning a new skill.

Hmm....needs to learn to roll back over, get used to sleep on belly, learning new skill...that's about all I have.

Having a toddler and a baby can be challenging...but know this...with all the ups and downs of having them close like that...there are more ups than downs. (my youngest two are only 11 months apart.....)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I was in a similar situation not so long ago! I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. My son was the same, he was sleeping through the night then he just started waking up. I know it's hard, but what we did was we'd get up, and just sit with him, rubbing his belly trying to calm him down until he fell asleep. It took about a week of doing that and slowly he took he was staying awake for less time, needing us there less, until he just stopped waking up at night. We stopped picking him up when he woke up(because it only made things worse in the long run) and we just did anything we could to comfort him while he was still in the crib.
    Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 7 month old son. He wakes through the night, not from rolling over..but from rolling over and loseing his suckie and he can't find it on his own. So he cry's until we get up to give it to him. Also he's awake at 12am and 4am to eat. WILL NOT go back to sleep without those bottles...I've tried water, doesn't work. He even has a noise machine running too..obviously that doesn't work either. All I can say, is just remind yourself that he'll grow out of it, they alway's do when they learn how to roll over both way's no problem.
    Anonymous