Keppra and helath insurance....please help!

I call my helath insurance, cause they keep denying a medication Keppra (seizure med) because she wants me on the name brand of it not the generic. Now mind you I only have enough Keppra to last me until this thursday night. So I call my neuroligist, and they say the same thing that my insurance is rejecting it too, and that my doc needs to appeal it in writing on why I cant take the generic. And my neuroligist dont have samples in either office.:( So I asked her what are they going to do if my health insurance wont allow me to have what I need. She said they will have no choice to admit me into either Cooper or Lordes in camden until I deliver! So they can make sure I dont have a seizure. Cause in the hospital they have name brand Keppra. Ugh this is frustrating....What would you do?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• That is crazy BS and this is why we need our health care fixed. I think it's stupid because it will cost them more by having to admit you. Maybe you can tell them that. I personally don't understand why you can't have generic, it is the same as name brand. So if they won't cover it just get the generic so you don't end up in the hospital. I hope the can help you asap!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I cant have the generic cause I tried the generic and in one week, no lie, I was feeling differnent and then they drew some blood and the generic keppra wasnt reading a normal number, so my neurlogist told me i need to stay on name brand only...and just dont make any sense why they cant approve it until I deliver, ya know? Im due in March!
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I understand and it pisses me off just hearing about your situation. It's not right! Something has to be done. Can I ask what the reason why your insurance company won't approve this? Darn, since when did they become Doctors?!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yikes, I just noticed your icon, yummy I love him! Ok back to the subject, sorry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• They said cause it needs approval. Im like wtf..?! I been on Keppra since 2005 and never needed an approval for it and now I do cause they came out for generic for it. I dont want to be put in the hospital so I can get 2 pills!
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yeah that's crazy and I'm sorry. I would just keep on their butts about and your Doctors too. I really don't know what else to tell you because I have never had a problem with meds before. I would think your Doctor calling or writing on why would be good enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• do you think I should inform my obgyn? since I am pregnant?
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes Jess i would definetly inform your ob gyn dr....let me know if you know anything new..call me i am home today..
    alee72

Answer by alee72 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would deffinitly call your OB GYN and tell them everything. They will probably call the insurance company and stress the importance of you being on the name brand. Also I don't see why insurance companies have to be so stupid, they are gonna pay for you to be in the hospital and for the medication, but they won't just cover the medication. That just doesn't make much sense on their part.
    Mikeynlexismom

Answer by Mikeynlexismom at 8:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2009