My husband has little water blisters all over his shins/calves...any idea what this could be? I worry because...

My husband works in a hospital and is in and out of surgeries all day long. One of the guys on his team has told him to be careful not to pick our son until he's washed up thoroughly (which he typically does at work). The reason being that sometimes the people who come into the OR have things like MRSA and diseases that are contagious. Anyhow, so a few months ago he had a pimple on his eyelid (odd, right?) and the nurse at his job said it looked like something you could get in the OR (o_0). It ended up being just a pimple. But now I'm super paranoid about these things!! Yesterday I noticed a lot of red marks on his shins and decided to investigate. He has literally 100+ little water blisters all over his legs.

Any idea what this could be? Any easing my mind that it's NOT some highly contagious infectious disease? lol. I told him to go to the doctor, but he's stubborn (-_-)

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 8:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Health

• How small are they? I get them on my hands and they're just large enough to see that they are tiny blisters. They are clear but can turn red if they're irritated. It's a form of eczema. I have a prescribed cream for them and it makes a world of a difference! His doctor can get him something if that's what it is. I've noticed that not even the best hand ccreams on the market make a difference to my prescription.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I'll look up information on that and see if that is maybe what it is. The thing is he's never had anything like this before. Most of them are *bright red* and so swollen that you can hardly tell there is fluid in them. I wouldn't have even noticed that they were water blisters except I saw one that was as you described...tiny and clear. That's when I started looking at the other ones that were red and realized that they're all water blisters. Size wise, the smallest ones are the size of the head of a pin, the bigger ones are as wide as a pencil eraser and those are really really red and swollen looking.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Hmmm, I wonder if I can take a clear pic of the ones on my hand...the largest one I had was yesterday actually...and it hurt BAD! It finally popped in the shower. It wasn't as large and a pencil eraser though. My are all mostly the size of the head of a pin.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Sadly that's not what it looks like :(. I wish it was because then I wouldn't be so freaked out by it. Seriously, after touching his legs yesterday I *SCRUBBED* my hands and then used antibacterial gel stuff which I try to never use. It just really grossed me out. I'm trying to figure out if he did something that could have caused it because a few inches above the blisters there was a scrape on his leg. He said he didn't get into anything, but I mean...if I had a bloody scrape I'd sure remember how I got it.

I'm considering texting him and telling him to have one of the nurses look at it while he's at the hospital. I think I may do that...but he probably won't get them to.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• He really should. That sounds like something that needs to be looked at! I hope he does...at least it would help you relax a little, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Okay well apparently he thinks it's poison ivy. He said that the only reason it's red and nasty looking is because he's been scratching it. I'm going to say that I'm beginning to think it has to be something from the yard because he showed me that it's also on his arms. The only places he has the bumps are the spots that are uncovered when he wears a t-shirt and shorts (they even stop at the line his shoes/socks would have been). I'm not sure it's poison ivy, but I DO think it's something from our yard.

Oh great, now I have to go over the entire yard and figure out what it is so my son doesn't get in it :-/
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Do you have any friends that are pharmacist??? They gladly look at these type of things and suggest OTC for them. My daughter had similar type bumps and I treated with peroxide and neosporin covered with a bandaid. Eventually they healed and left scars that I am not using Scaraid on. She said they did itch when they first appeared.
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My mother in laws boyfriend had the same thing , and it took going to different doctors for awhile before they figured it out. He was alergic to yeast, like you make bread with. Now he has to watch ever thing he eats, he even has to buy speical kinds of pastas, cereal etc.I forget what its called, but you could ask the doctor if this is possibly what it may be on your husband.
    applepie59

Answer by applepie59 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2008