do you have your "yearly exam" done like you should

My youngest is 19 months...I had a pap done when he was six weeks but I haven't had one since. Do you feel it is important to have one every year? I don't have insurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• To answer you question yes I think it's really important. Sadly I don't have insurance so I don't have yearly exams done like I should. We my husband and I haven't had insurance since the kids were born. the kids are covered but we just can't afford it for ourselves. Sucks but it is what it is.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 8:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have insurance and my gyn call me to remind me my annual is due. It is important to have an annual check-up so abnormal cells ( cancer ) can be caught early. Before I had insurance I would go through planned parenthood, I was charged 20.00. If you don't have a planned parenthood I'm sure if you look into it you can find free clinics or a doc willing to work with you on billing. Get your check-up.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I feel that it is very important and I do go every year. I didn't have insurance for several years, but I still went. I found that I could go to Planned Parenthood and it only cost me $65. Even if I were to go to my Ob-Gyn though, they gave a discount for uninsured patients. I was on Medicaid with my second baby and both of my children were on Medicaid. Just this month we were finally able to start insurance for the whole family. A woman's yearly exam is only once a year...even if you have to save $10 a month for a whole year to be able to go, then do that. As a mother, I feel that avoiding my annual exams is something that my family cannot afford for me to do. I have to take care of myself. All would be lost if something were to happen to Mommy.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It is very important. I would be dead if I skipped mine and I'm only 25. I had cancer and never would have known it without my annual paps. There were no signs or symptoms. The BIG problem is how expensive having a pap is if you don't have insurance. They can run hundreds and hundreds of dollars. If you have to, go to a clinic or somewhere that offers health care for women like the PPs mentioned, but don't skip.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes I've had one done every yera since I had my 3 year old.
    LND

Answer by LND at 9:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes it's important. Do you qualify for public aid insurance? Most areas have clinics to help lower-income people and will charge based on your income. You need to go.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes it's important but I haven't had one done in years (no insurance) .
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have always had insurance and I still don't go. I hate it with a passion. I had one when I was pregnant with my youngest child, but hes almost 3, so I think its time to go. We moved about 2 yrs ago and I won't go to anyone without a referral because everytime I do, I end up with a wacko. I am not going to put it off much longer.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i havent had one sice i've had my daughter but yes its important to have one every year but i cant because i have no insurance
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• just because someone doesnt have insurance...doesn't mean they are low income...insurance is very expensive...hopefully Obama will help- I'm praying so at least
    Anonymous