For those that have quit smoking

Well I'm trying to quit smoking again, this will be my 3rd attempt. If you have successfully quit then how did you do it? I have tried the patches and the longezes and am now doing it cold turkey, and how do you keep from being completely bitchy?

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• I quit cold turkey. It was my second attempt and honestly, it wasn't that bad. But I was really ready to quit. The first time I wasn't and that's why it didn't work for me. The thing that helped me the most was chewing gum. Not that nasty nicotine gum, but regular gum. I went through gum so incredibly fast. And as for the bitchiness...it's something you may just have to go through. Just when you're starting to get that way, just walk away and try and calm yourself down. You're doing a good thing here...smoking is extremely unhealthy and congrats to you for wanting to quit!! When you feel yourself getting tensed up, just take several deep breaths and pop in a piece of gum. Good luck!! If you truly want it, you can do it!!

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• cold turkey worked best for me. it was almost impossible to keep from being bitchy cuz all i could think about was going back to the store and pick up another pack. i tried to think about how much money i would save, and how less likely i would get sick wth any smoking related diseases. this is a bad advice, but eat something helps too. i turned to coffee, and was on it for a while. good luck, you're gonna make it !
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i did cold turkey, no patches or bullshit. I was getting married and my fiance, the love of my lif hated it. It was my motivation
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I agree cloud144,my husband was my inspiration too. Plus the chewing gum really worrks too.
    LND

Answer by LND at 9:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i cut down and just thought to my self, i wanna live long and be here for my kids and family. I don't wanna smell like it and even when I did smoke it was mostly outside or with a fan and window open. I have tried to get my husband to quit and he goes outside at all times to smoke and isn't allowed to smoke in the car with the kids or in my van. I quit back in 2005 and haven't started again. I gained a few pounds from quitting and am glad. I don't wanna ever start back up b/c whats the point of qutting and starting again? so i can do it all over again?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Cold turkey after cutting down. You just have to think of all the other times in your life you used willpower. And reach down deep and pull it back out. :) I quit after 20 years of smoking. You can too.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Chantix works wonderful. If your insurance covers it.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2009