Okay. So i have to go get fitted for a dress today for my brothers wedding that is THIS WEEKEND. Would you say something to this lady?

My brother n his fiance planned this wedding very quickly. I ordered the dress in December sometime. (its 2hrs from where i live)Well it juts got in yesterday. She got me a size 8!! (normally in those kind of dress I wear a size 4) But she insisted the 8 is what would fit. (didn't have anything for me to try on just took my measurements n ended up calling me later that day about it) So it took all this time to get it in. After paying a RUSH FEE. Im going down to get fitted for it bc it will have to be shortened no matter what cause i'm so short. If the dress ends up being just HUGE Should I refuse to pay for those alterations since she told me i should get an 8. Also what about that rush fee she charged n it just now got here. This lady is a real doozy to say the least. I was planning on having someone I know do it who will do it for free but i feel bad asking her because she'd have ONE DAY TO DO IT.

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• if she measured me, and she said i needed an 8, and it was way too big i would give her a HARD time about it, if that is what she does for a living she should know what to do... i would demand a partial refund at least, i would also let her know (after getting the refund) that i would be posting my experience on yellow book and every other site i can find that reviews service businesses... good luck...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would and I'm guessing you went to david's briadl bec they tried that w/ my wedding dress telling me they could take it down 2 sizes but not up any and i told the f off im buy what fits so id have a huge fit if i were u
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 9:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well you will still have to pay the rush fee, but if the alterations are that drastic I wouldn't pay for the whole cost because more than likely there would be some kind of alterations anyway ask for discount.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• no actually its not davids bridal i wish they freaking would have cause IMO they are soo much better and more professional. the place she went to is only opened m-f 1130-430 if you can't make it there in those hours your screwed. she watns you to only pay with cash or check (GUESS WHAT SHE GOT AND WILL GET CREDIT FROM ME LOL) but i'm just so frusterated. I do not want to drive a total of 4 hours today with a 10 month old luckily he is real good but it just wasn't on my list of things to do today =\
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• the thing is at davids bridal we ordered our brides maids dresses around the same time and there was NO rush fee. the rush fee was 30 dollars. it wasn't rushed! err. so far i've paid 170 for this dumb dress that will go on craigslist for like 20 after sat. LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would absolutely refuse to pay the rush fee seeing how it wasn't rushed and the alterations will be her fault being she told you that you would need a certain size even though you knew better! Tell the lady to shove the fees up her a**!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 9:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I know some bridesmaid dresses run small, I swear they do that to make you feel bad about yourself!! The last time I got fitted one of the girls had to order a "plus" size dress (she normally wears a 10) and went to the bar right afterwards and got drunk!!!
    Hopefully your dress fits and if it doesn't either demand she alter it ASAP since it was her fault with the size or take it to a dry cleaners, who often are way cheaper and quicker with alterations.

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• If it's from a bridal store, remember that for some odd reason, bridesmaids dresses are different sizes than normal ready to wear sizes. My sisters are both tiny women (size 0-2) and they were in much larger sizes for my bridesmaid dresses. If you haven't tried it on, you may be surprised and find that it actually fits. I doubt you can make her pay for the dress, but she really should have asked you before hand. Alterations are pricey.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You haven't even tried the dress on yet, don't stress. Formal wear tends to run small. And as for the rush fee...Honestly, get over it. Do you know the work that goes into making bridesmaids dresses? Less than 8 weeks is a rush. You are probably going to need some alterations. If you have big boobs or wide hips...well, it easier to take the waist in than to let out the waist or bust line. Sometimes, it's just the cut of the dress or the dressmaker has weird sizes. I wear different sizes in almost everything. All that should matter is that you look good in the dress, not the number that is on a tag no one will see.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It's always been my experience that formal wear and uniforms are much smaller than typical retail. I wear a size 10 dress and got a size 14 bridesmaid dress last May for my friend's wedding. Luckily it did not need alterations. Size is next to meaningless. It's your actual measurements, the cut of the dress and characteristics of the fabric that count.
    casseopeia

Answer by casseopeia at 3:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009