I've just started pumping once a day so others can help out with feedings once in a while. What is a normal amount of milk to be expressing? I don't seem to be getting a lot but am not sure if that is normal at first. My daughter was just born last week and my milk just came in 2 days ago. Thanks!

DetTigerGirl

Asked by DetTigerGirl at 9:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this point I wouldn't expect more than maybe an ounce or two at a time (maybe even less). Just keep doing it and it will increase.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• You shouldn't pump until at least 3 weeks when your supply is well established. A pump is not a good indicator of supply. You really need the baby to be nursing to up it. Missing a feeding will only tell your body not to make milk at that time, even with the pump, it takes constant pumping to increase it like your baby would. If you're going to keep pumping, turn it up to max until letdown, then dial it back. Stay hydrated & relaxed or let baby nurse on one side which can help with output from the other side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my milk came in when i was in labor so by the time i came home i was sooo engorged from my daughter not being able latch properly.. I pumped to help with the swelling and at one point i got 8 ounces! but the average was about 3 ounces for me.. now my daughter is 4 months and i work full time, so i pump at least every 3 hours. i usually get 4 oz minimum each time.
    tiffani_qt2001

Answer by tiffani_qt2001 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I believe when I was pumping around that time, I got 2-3 oz.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i dont breast feed but i tried the baby will let you know when she had enough breast milk but the baby proply needs about an 1 ounce to 2 ounces or 3ounces to start off with
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009