• In the Spotlight:

Pagan Reading for Beginners

Okay, I asked the other question but I want to clerify, I'm NOT Wiccan! I am however Pagan. Are there authors that are good that are not teaching Wicca? My beliefs are closer to Celtic/Druid...

I have read Celtic Magic by D.J. Conway and really like it. I guess now I'm more looking for a how to/ beginners. I want to know EVERYTHING! And I'm looking for somewhere to start.

Would you still recommend the same authors? Any other NON-Wiccan authors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow, Thank you anon! Now we will all see the light and go to church! lol!!

To the OP... I'm in the same boat. I can't ever find decent Non-Wiccan reading. I'm always afraid that the stuff I see online is going to be a waist of money. Check out www.IsisBooks.com for some great ones though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What's the difference? It's all weird?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I thought it was funny that anon said "it's all weird". As if every other religion is completely normal. According to some religions, if you aren't baptized you go to hell, if you don't repent you go to hell, if you don't accept God as your saviour you go to hell, if you use birthcontrol you are sinning, I could go on and on. I thought the bible said " cast not the first stone".
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That has been my problem as well. There are so many books for Wiccans and not just Pagans. I ususally go to meetings and use on line resources for just Pagan works.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• There are always the Idiots Guide to Paganism or Paganism for Dummies. They are quite simple to read and give you a good overall concept of the subject as well. I found them on Amazon.com for reasonable prices.

Also, I think because Paganism is more an umbrella term its harder to find something just about it. Most are looking for specific beliefs that fall under it then Paganism itself, kwim?

Another book I found on Amazon was Paganism:A Beginners Guide by Teresa Moorey.Its gotten great reviews there.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Paganism by River and Joyce Higginbotham (great newbie book)
    Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom from the Elders
    Drawing Down the Moon---Margot Adler
    Elements of Ritual--Deborah Lipp
    The Way of Four--Deborah Lipp
    Ritual: A Guide to Life, Love & Inspiration, Emma Restall-Orr (AWESOME BOOK, even if your aren't a Druid)
    The Druidry Handbook--John Michael Greer
    Pagans and the Law: Understand Your Rights
    Body Sacred--Dianne Sylvan
    Shamanic Spirit: A Practical Guide to Personal Fulfillment
    The Power of Myth--Joseph Campbell
    Celtic Mythology--Geddes and Grosset
    The Pagan's Muse---Jane Raeburn
    The Pagan Book of Prayer--Ceisiwr Serith
    Pagan Family--Ceisiwr Serith
    The Well-Read Witch--Carl McColman (its a book of pagan books)

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Also, there is an EXCELLENT list of recommended reading @ http://www.silver-branch.org/ssbbiblio/ssbbiblio.html

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Personally, I always recommend someone read a bit of everything...I mean, paganism is a widely varied and non-dogmatic path...there is always something that someone else does that might be effective in an individual path--and if you don't explore, you will never find out if you are doing the best way for you or not...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• A lot of celtic writings were destroyed during that little "conversion" effort, but you will find they align quite a bit with Germanic heathenry. The Poetic and Prose Eddas will give you a good base on the structure, and some of the legends cross over in variation, just the names are different. There are a few different translations, but Bellows is the most commonly regarded as the best. It's out of copyright so you can read all of it here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/ You can look around sacred texts for some other odds and ends, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If you are Pagan you might as well be a wiccan they all get the same afterlife anyway!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009