Why are old sesame street episodes inapropriate for todays children?

We don't have cable in our house so we just rely on Netflix for entertainment. I just recently recieved old episodes of sesame and they have a little announcement saying that these episodes are for adults and not suitable for todays pre-schooler. Does anyone know why? I remember loving these episodes myself as a child.

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Entertainment

• I don't know why either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think that I remember a few years back something being said about the content. I can't remember if it was racial,sexual, or what but I remember there being a big fuss about it.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Whaaat? That's quite shocking to me. Maybe they think the stuff on TV today is too watered down for little kids, and they can't handle the "horrible" and "shocking" things on the Sesame Street of yesteryear. LOL. I grew up watching SS and so did lots of people before me. We're not scarred or evil because of it. I don't understand the ratings system.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Because they arent politically correct. That is why. Also the old cartoons like Bugs, Yosemite Sam, Wiley Coyote etc have the same warning. I got my grandson the collection of the old cartoons I thought he would like them and my dd called and told m e they have a warning LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i hear that cookie monster was promoting obistity due to his love for cookies. which is stupid. i know there were a few more concerning count and grover but dont remember. dam. also burt and ernie "gay" please i grew up on this stuff and loved them now my kids dont watch it its not the same and 1/2 hour of elmos world.. yuck. bring back the good stuff. so you can get the old eposodes on netflix?? really? i didnt know that..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• HOLY CRAP gemgem! My boyfriend and I love watching old Looney Tunes episodes, and we've just recently realized how horribly violent they are. I mean, really, guns and cigarettes and dynamite and mousetraps and mallets? It's so hilarious that that stuff was perfectly acceptable and considered harmless as recently as ten years ago...yet now it would be a travesty if someone even got hurt on a TV show *rolls eyes*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My kids and me love the older cartoons...that crap on today is just plain stupid. Yo gabba gabba, total drama island ..and let's not forget SpongeBob...blah
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I agree with Momshawn. Today's cartoons are so ridiculous! I hate Sponge Bob, its pointless! At least Sesame Street was teaching them something. My MIL has old tapes of it and my DD loves it! I love older cartoons and one of my favorite they cant even show on TV anymore-anyone remember Speedy Gonzales? the little Mexican mouse who ran really fast?? "They" say its racist towards Mexicans/Latinos because its stereotypical; when in fact its the most popular cartoon in Mexico!! WTF! America needs to wake up and stop trying to be so politically correct!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• okay so I am answering my own question in case anyone else is curious....the warning is due to many things that were deemed harmful to a child's identity in 2007. Big Bird's imaginary friend snuffy had to be removed, cookie monster was promoting diabetes and addiciton apparently, Bert comes off as bipolar with manic episodes and Oscar is an untreated antisocial that suffered depression and sarcastic episodes. Not only that but the brownstones that the neighborhood was modeled after were in good condition and there was too much controversy around adults(strangers) making new friends in the neighborhood (children) that could be seen as dangerous. So much for sunny days.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• surprisedOMG, are you serious?

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009